SPA 14-17th JUNE

I think a "Scatter shield" would also be on his shopping list as well. :wacko:

Stuart.

Chris,

Do you have the video from the second race ?

Brian

Sorry Brian,

my equipment let me down on race 2.

I was in a hurry, did chat too much with people and was late on the pre grid. I saw that my device did something wrong as I didn't get any rpm on my shift light. The reason was that one of the boxes wasn't plugged to the battery. No power, no video - lesson learned.

Would have been a nice footage.

Cheers

Chris

But in fact I've been very lucky too : my feet were in the 'firing' direction of the exploding clutch cover : cast iron pieces of the friction ring have destroyed the clutch housing : the gearbox housing was completely separated from the engine, went through the gearbox cover, the firewall and the bonnet. Such a metallpiece in the direction of my feet, woul have ment the end of racing, if at all I kept my feet.

What does surprise me is that a clutch can explode frum "just" 8200 rpm. We're not talking about 15000 rpm.

8200 is a normal figure for racing cars.

Maybe the clutch had a crack before?

That may well be the case. I had heard a noise since Zandvoort for which I didn't have an explanation.

Also the heat can have part in it, and the clutch parts were 8.5" (standard dimensions), now I will fit a 7.25" clutch.

I think Mario Neumann has a double 5.5" clutch. The smaller the diameter of rotating parts,the better.

Marcel

Chris, I did look for older cracks, but didn't find any, but I have found only about the half of the parts.

Alec, I've bought already a 7.25" Tilton clutch from Bastuck. He had one in stock.

But if Pete Cox has smaller clutches for a 4 cyl TR car, like a 5.5" double plate clutch, I'm always interested. It must have 1" x 10 spline centre, because the only dog boxes that can be bought today have a 1"x10 spline input shaft.

In Zandvoort, a car competed in the FISC race, togethe with our Triumph Competition & BritishGT race, driven by a John Pringle, I believe the car was a Lotus 7 S3. Some offspring of yours?

Marcel.

Marcel

John Pringle in the S3 Lotus 7 is from the Darlington area (North East England) and he has raced on occasions with the Classic Sports Car Club Swinging 60s series.

With regard to him being Alex's offspring that would be anatomically impossible, they are both of similar age.

Dave McD

Marv, 8250rpm (that is how you treat my old head :huh: ). I would not like to put much over 7 on my 4 (but maybe bigger piston, but either way long rod length) and that is steel with very light rods.

Does sound like you were lucky with the flywheel letting go. Mind you can't realyy us a scatter shield on a TR box (though I suppose you could have a steel plate attached to the tunnel in that area?

I use a 7.5 Tilton twin plate (no probs in 5 years before last weekend), but think I had a seal go on release bearing with must have put fluid on plates. Go for a single plate AP / Tilton or Quatermaster (I have this in the 4 and it has always been great).

8250 rpm is the reason why this yellow TR3 is always ahead on the straights.

Thats an over rev (I presume frume the rev counter tell) tail, hence the flywheel /clutch letting go big time. No TR lump can do that. The piston speeds from the long cranks would be off the chart!

My tachometer is logging the highest rpm, it was 8250. The engine has stand it, there is no damage (I've thorougly inspected it and partially dismantled) , but of course the overrevving was no longer than a few seconds. The engine has a billet steel crank with dummy mains, so every cylinder is balanced on his own. Soms years ago I had a broken steel crankshaft, and heard from 3 other broken steel cranks from the same manufacturer. Those cranks had no dummy mains, but the quality must have been **** in other aspects too.

I'm waiting for Tilton 7.25" clutch parts instead of the standard 8.5" clutch cover with cerametallic plate that was fitted.

Marcel

My tachometer is logging the highest rpm, it was 8250. The engine has stand it, there is no damage (I've thorougly inspected it and partially dismantled) , but of course the overrevving was no longer than a few seconds. The engine has a billet steel crank with dummy mains, so every cylinder is balanced on his own. Soms years ago I had a broken steel crankshaft, and heard from 3 other broken steel cranks from the same manufacturer. Those cranks had no dummy mains, but the quality must have been **** in other aspects too.

I'm waiting for Tilton 7.25" clutch parts instead of the standard 8.5" clutch cover with cerametallic plate that was fitted.

Marcel

My 6 has dummy main on the crank the TR4 steel one is more along the lines of a copy of the std one. Dummy mains are best I think.

I keep to 7k (when it runs!!!).

That is some vid - the Tiger driver is a Muppet getting mugged by the fast TRs's - have to have a go at that race some time - what was the name of that race?