I am probably off the wall here but Leyland used all sorts during this time ( mid 70s - early 80s) . My Xjs Auto specifies "type F" ATF & one from 5 years later specifies "Dexron 2D" . The 2D gives much firmer changes but apparanlty b****** the box up .  I would use what gives a quiet but precise change - If its not overheating & doent need forcing :P then it surely cant be doing any harm.

I am however no expert and bow to the better knowledge of other listers.

From what I've read ATF was only to improve the gear change it doesn't in long term do the box much good, especially those driven "enthusiastically". I think RPI and some others recommend Castrol SMX which is a synthetic and should give a reasonable gear change & life.

As I've posted before I had my box expensively reconned when the car was rebuilt & now wish I hadn't, still pants gearchange & it's noisy. Just like the other LT77s I've driven.

I should have thrown it away & gone either T5 or Supra. Oh for hindsight!

Jim

Going back again to my Leyland days,there was a recall on all vehicles fitted with the LT77 - TR7 ,SDi and Sherpa to have the oil changed to ATF to aid better gear selection when cold.

Prior to this the gearboxes were replaced if enough noises(no pun intended) were made my the customer.Due to this the box gained an unjust bad reputation,the R380 (evolved LT77) has ATF specified from new under a different name.

The LT77 may leak a little but if it properly maintained it is a superb gearbox and can handle high power output (best use the big bearing type for this),I think D prefix (Chris can confirm)  

John

Malcolm,

don't be tempted to use heavyweight oils like ep90, in my experience, it makes for horrendous gear changing and can overstress the oil pump-resulting in a nasty mess.

I know the army used 20/50 engine oil for a while, but this was short lived, my advice is to use the Dexron.

For recon gearboxes, we use a firm called Dave Beaumont transmissions, in Halifax i believe, very well priced and good reliability. I can get the phone number if needed.

Rob.

I have heard detrimental comments about the LT77 gearbox a few times now.

Well, I swapped the full transmission from a 5 speed into my TR7 replacing the 4 speed set up.

Used "Lucas" (!) ATF which is supposedly suitable for drag racing transmissions and can't praise the LT77 enough.

It's not notchy or rattly and the change is great. It was also a big improvement over the old 4 speed during 2000 miles of the RBRR. :cool: