TR4A Wiper Woes!!!! Any ideas??

Having changed the 2 speed Motor (£340 TR Shop) , 2 new Wiper boxes (£60 Rimmers) , 2 new Wiper arms (£30 Moss) and countless hours 'playing' still not happy!! Prices inc. VAT & pp etc. Oh, and a new battery, to ensure plenty of umph!

The motor orinally fitted by the PO was a single speed and the wipers struggled to wipe. So no MOT possible!!!! Bugger, and I really wanted to get the car on the road!

A fellow TR member has said they never did work on a dry screen, I can't remember that? Is it so?

The new wiper arms , drivers side cranked with cross head screw fitting and firm on the spindle, n/s with 'push on ' fitting which slips on the spindle as the new arm has a course internal spline ,and not a fine spline per the wiper spindle. Another new arm 'me thinks' ! The quality of the repro parts has to be an issue too.

With all these new parts, the cable/rack and wiper boxes all geniunely freely moving, any ideas on how to get the wipers to work properly? Could the spring pressure be to high, or the rubbers offering too much resistance ????

Any ideas to get the problem sorted most welcome.

Cheers

Bob

Never try this type of wiper system on a dry screen if you can help it. The cranked arm should be on the passenger side and the straight on drivers side unless you are going for the US market left side park. Have you got the wiper wheelboxes the right way up and not too steep a curve to the first wheel box and a well greased rack.

Stuart.

Hi Bob,

Lever the arms back so they are off the screen then turn them 'on'.

Do they move freely and at both speeds

Wet the screen (ensure some screen wash in your bottle as it is more slippery) and turn them 'on'.

They should still move freely but possibly a little slower.

If they don't then you have a problem with the wheel boxes etc.

Use a thin grease for the cable.

If all else fails remove the windscreen completely and the wipers and go for the MOT - it will pass. Then worry about the wipers.

Roger

Have you cleaned the old grease off the rack?

We had a problem with Lynda's TR4A when using the wipers after a long period of idleness. One really wet day on a motorway with minimal visibility I had no option but to use them and hope for the best. Eventually they gradually began to speed up and after 5 minutes were working fine. I assume the grease was just so solid that they would not move properly until it had warmed up and moved about a bit.

I'd suggest removing the arms and just running the wiper motor for 10-15 minutes and see if things improve. If they do, then remove the rack, clean and regrease.

Thanks Guys,

Stuart, yes the n/s is a cranked arm. But the n/s one Moss supplied is 'definately' a coarse spline, push on type, 'no work' , slips! Sub standard copy I suspect? Unlike the drivers side they supplied, straight, which is fine spline, with a screw fixing and fits ok , both Tex Automotive manufactured according to the stamping on the arms. Curious that a major supplier like Moss ,should supply one coarse spline and one fine spline, will have to ask them? Umh. I wonder, in this wicked world if someone is 'copying' the Texautomotive product, would they know??

The wiper boxes, round the right way? , point taken, but the clamping screws would be impossible to fit. Screw heads would be facing in the direction of the engine?

The rack / cable is definately greased, and the wiper boxes too, with the smoothest curve possible?

Strangely, might try the 'run for 10/15 minutes without the arms fitted. Might just bed in? Has anyone adjusted the wiper arm spring pressure , or , found some rubber compounds offer high resistance on the windscreen?

Fustrated Bob.

Hi Bob,

do not reduce the blade spring pressure - they are quite marginal at the best of time - any less pressure and the blade will lift off.

The rubber should not be part of your problem.

Contact Moss and explain that they have put the wrong items in the parts bin - they are often doing it as they don't check the stock coming in.

When you have got the things working as you desire remember to park them in the vertical position - shut off ignition when vertical -

This will keep the blades fairly flat - otherwise you will have a bent drivers blade for quite a while and get an unswept arc.

Roger

Edited by RogerH

You would think that the stupid prices they are charging (340 quid for a wiper motor???..do me a favour), that Moss would get it right...yeah!. I really think these 'suppliers' are getting greedy..60 quid for wiper boxes?...omg!

Bob,

Another area of concern is the voltage delivered to the motor (while running). Poor connections, switch and wiring can all contibute to not having the required voltage at the motor.

Cheers

Graeme

My wipers always used to jam except in constant moderate rain.

One thing I recommend you should look at, particularly as you have fitted new wiper boxes. This is end float on the wiper shafts. If this is excessive the spiral drive tries to push itself out of engagement with the beveled drive gear and so tends to jam against the side of the wiper box.

If you look at the rear of the wiper box, you will see a V shaped cut-out. The point of the V aligns with the center of the bevel gear. A new box will have the correct end float before fitment, but when clamped up on the spiral drive guide tubes this can increase markedly. If you have significant end float (remember the bevel gear is quite narrow) bend in the V until the end float is almost zero. This has to be done in situ, and access is such that it is difficult to get sufficient controlled leverage on the V. I used a right angle screwdriver that worked a treat but any similar tool should do the job. And my wipers no longer play up!

Horse

Hi Horse,

I will check, suspect you maybe right, as everything is new/repro and my feelings towards the new /repro items is not one of confidence??

I really feel a 'lot' of suppliers just accept that importers/manufacturers are getting it right, when the truth is anything but that! As a recent forum item confirmed there are many TR owners who have experienced great disappointment

Bob