Cold starting

Evening all, your help would be much appreciated.

Ever since recently having my starter motor replaced with a high torque example, my CR series car has been difficult to start from cold. It has electroic ignition, so presumably this does not relate to a coil ballast resister. It cranks very well, but takes a lot of cranking to get her started. It was starting easily before the starter motor replacement.

Any suggestions ?

Nick

Hi Nick,

Do you know how many amps the starter motor pulls?

Are you sure the that the starter gear have a little clearance with the ring gear when engaged?

Are the brown wire on the starter or connector block secure connected?

Rien

Had my car 39 years, and it's always started much better from warm than cold...bless it! :rolleyes:

If the new starter draws more current that the old it could be that there isn't quite enough juice getting to the fuel pump? Have you a relay on the fuel pump?

Nick

Unlikely that the new starter is drawing more current than the Lucas original and giving you a voltage drop - should be less amps unless it's faulty. Take a look at the connections to the new starter motor. In addition to the chunky power cable there should be a thick red/white cable and a thinner (probably white) cable. If the thinner cable is connected to a terminal on the starter, disconnect it and see if that improves things.

Bill

If it is only the 'coldstart' is affected then the current flow would be of minor concern. I appreciate that a cold engine is stiffer.

I still think that something is adrift with the MU or thereabouts.

Roger

Nick

I agree with Roger, check that the over fuel lever is being used on the metering unit, the clip that retains the outer cable can easily have been dislodged if the mechanic has reached in from above to remove the starter motor. If there is plenty of power in the battery to turn the engine over then there is more than enough to spark it into life

Graham

The MU is on the other side from the starter motor so unlikely to have been disturbed especially by TRGB as they know their stuff. Still worth checking that it's functioning though.

I can't tell from your original post whether you actually have a 6v ballasted coil or not. If you do then maybe the starter motor to ignition connection which supplies 12v during cranking is missing - although I would have thought TRGB would have got that right. Having said that as you have electronic ignition installed I would expect that you have a 12v coil and a full 12v feed to the ignition system, ie the ballast resistor cable has been removed or shorted out. Has it?

Edited by peejay4A
  • 1 month later...

I don't know if your issue has been solved, but my TR6 was very difficult to start when cold. Then I had a mechanical problem with the ignition switch and while fixing that I discovered that positive feed wire was almost cut off (probably overheated at some time) meaning poor feed to ignition coil at start. Soldered in a piece of new wire and now it starts like a dream. :D

/Inge