I was keenly anticipating my odometer moving form 79999 to 80000 only to see it stick between the two; I've driven a further 10 miles or so and it still isn't moving.

Any suggestions?

KInd regards,

Lee.

P.S. Did a lot of research on the Forum about electronic flasher units and fitted one recently. Pleased to say it works a treat.

Hi Lee

Stick with it. Mine did that and eventually it will turn over. It can take a lot more than 10 miles. Mine got to 79999 on the way to Harrogate on the Friday last year and eventually went over to 80000 as I was getting home on the Sunday. Probably nearer 100 miles!

Roger

If your lucky the pawl that turns the numbers will have fallen out of place. If you aren't so lucky, the small nylon gear that drives the odometer will have shed a tooth or 2. This often happens when a "big number" rolls over because of the force required. The gears are not being reproduced afik. It is not too difficult to remove the speedo from the dash and take the innards out of the case to diagnose the problem.

Berry

• 1 month later...

I thought it worth posting the conclusion to this problem. I ran the car for another 50 miles or so, but the odometer stayed at 79999. Eventually I removed the speedo, gently took it apart and nudged the numbers around until it read 80,000 and then moved it on another few miles by rotating the toothed gear wheel. I then carefully blew out any dust, cleaned the gear mechanism with a lens brush and then gave everything else a clean and polish before reassembling and refitting.

I'm pleased to say that it's now working perfectly again; it clearly didn't have enough "oomph" to turn over the five tumblers.

One problem I now have is that the speedo looks bright and shiny compared to all of the other instruments so I've decided to take out all of the instruments and clean them up and perhaps respray the black instrument surrounds as they're looking tired and are chipped in places.

Again thanks for all of the advice.

Lee.

Well done Lee, I'll bear the solution in mind. May also be worh replacing the rubber rings around the instruments as well as they are likley to be 'tired'....like the rest of us :)