Question about choke on TR3

I have fitted a new choke cable to my TR3 and my question is, should it lock in position if I twist it?

It doesn't lock and I wondered if I have been supplied with a faulty one?

It's a real pain to try to keep the car running when it's cold, particularly as the choke is very stiff to pull fully open, and it returns of its own accord. I have seen clothes pegs used to keep them open, but it's not an elegant solution!

Thanks,

Brian

The clothes peg is ideal wnen your choke is old and the "teeth" have become worn. For a new one, the "teeth" should be sharply defined. Just pul on the knob and it will hold on one of the ratchets. Do not twist it.

To release the choke, twist it and it should slide back in.

Thanks Don, you've confirmed what I thought should happen, but there are no teeth or any other mechanism for stopping the cable from returning. I will talk to Moss, as this was a new cable from them.

Thanks,

Brian

Unfortunately thats what you tend to get in the way of repro cables these days.If you can get hold of the remnants of an original one then Speedy cables will repair it for you.http://www.speedycables.com/

Stuart.

Brian ~ "Let's Twist Again!"

The easy way to make your choke cable 'lock' is this:~

First, connect the cable to the trunnion and lock it scurely on the carb. then remove the trunion compete with the cable and then twist the complete assembly clockwise for about three or four complete turns then secure it to the choke actuating lever.

You'll find that this makes ANY cable 'lock' when you release the choke knob. It's always worked for me.

I repaired mine with a length of Bowden cable I had in the garage!

OBVIOUSLY there should be 'teeth' on the choke control shaft but the above information is still relevant.

Tom :)

Edited by Fireman049

Stuart and Tom, thanks for the tips. I'll talk to Moss first because at over £58, I think it should work properly! Locking chokes for later cars only cost about £10 on eBay...........

Thanks again,

Brian.

With the original choke swetup, I found that you

had to twist the cable a bit when fitting it, then it

would stay in position.

Similar idea the flyoff handbrake - you twist the

choke to release, not to engage.

Alternatiuve to the clothes peg is a coin of the

appropriate diameter.

I used to use a ha'penny.

AlanR