Fitting / sizing sidescreen advice required

Afternoon all

I've decided to try and make the sidescreen fit properly now that I have the hardtop for winter so have stripped them back to the frames with a view to bending them to fit properly.

So question 1

Where should the leading edge of the screen frame touch the windscreen stancion ? Should it be hard against the outer strip or should there be a space on the assumption that there will be a lip on the fabric that will fit between the stanchion and the outer strip (and if so how much) ?

P5120030.jpg

Question 2

I rested the hardtop on the car to see how that fitted and the passenger side has a very large gap at the rear and at the top where the sidescreen doesn't reach the top. Is this something I am doing wrong or is there something missing from the hardtop (on the soft top they fit OK) ?

P5120035.jpg

P5120038.jpg

Any suggestions will be gratefully received.

Thanks

Edited by Andy B

Its usually best if you have a hardtop to get the frames to fit that first and then get the hood to fit to the sidescreens after. You are missing the rubbers that go on the polished ally guttering, but the basic fit for the sidescreens should be slightly forward of the rear of the aperture as there is a wide sewn lip on the front and a thin lip on the back. On the top they sit just below the guttering. See attached pics.

Stuart.

patrickstr2001.jpg

patrickstr2004.jpg

patricstr2002.jpg

patricstr2003-2.jpg

Andy,

This photo may help, it was taken in some old lockup in Cornwall :D on a rare occasion the screen, roof and sidescreens were fitted - and boy were they needed on that trip!!

524446_3375089411228_1089104818_32436539_589635748_n.jpg

Edit: - before anyone mentions it, yes TuRK's rear suspension was sitting low, but not any more....... :)

24933_1280570249558_1089104818_30708616_1868387_n.jpg

Cheers

Andrew

Edited by Andrew Smith

To answer your question 1, the front edge of the sidecurtain has a flat bit if fabric folded over and sewn together extending forward of the metal portion of the sidecurtain frame. This fabric tab fits into the groove between the chrome plate and the stanction. If the stanction is deformed (usually bent backwarts) if the sidecurtain frame is bent outwards for the car, if the tab sticks out or if this extending tab is not made wide enough, the leading edge of the sidecurtain will not sit in the groove. It will stick out and the rain and wind will come inside. As your speed increases, the aerodynamics will open this gap to the elements even more and you'll get drenched.

You can see in Andrew's photo of Turk how this tab is retained (hidden) in the slot (except at the bottom for about 3 to 4 inches. If you are making your sidecurtains, make sure this extending tab fits into the groove from top to bottom as can be seen in Raymond's photos.

i'm afraid i can't comment on the hardtop fit, but the shape of the frame looks ok to me, for a 2 or 3. it looks like andy's car is a 2.

all the photos shown are of the later 3a shape sidescreen without the lower "signalling" flap.

alan

Thanks for all the help and suggestions (yes it is a 2).

I've ordered the rubber/furflex for the guttering and once that's installed I'll fit the hardtop properly before taking a hammer/heat to the frames to make them fit properly. I appear to have one original and one repro.

I haven't decided yet but will probably get them covered by Don's Hoods as they did a good job supplying and fitting the tonneau. The front flap is going to need to be VERY big by the look of things if it is to fit into the gap between plate and stanchion.

Edit - The hammer mainly is for the mounting arms, as with the brackets fitted to the door cards the frames angle outwards towards the top so that they stand proud of the stanchion/plate by a good inch

Edited by Andy B

Hello Andy

You have the same problem as I have. I am just finishing a complete restoration of a TR2. I have aquired a hard top and now want to fit it. The car was not built with the fittings for a hard top and I now need to find somebody with the experiance of fitting hard tops so as to get it correct and then tweek the side screens to fit.I live inNorth Buckinghamshire if you do not live too many miles away could I come and see how the hard top should fit. The information I need is to see where it should sit on the car and the clearances between the cappings at the side.

Regards

Ian

Hello Andy

You have the same problem as I have. I am just finishing a complete restoration of a TR2. I have aquired a hard top and now want to fit it. The car was not built with the fittings for a hard top and I now need to find somebody with the experiance of fitting hard tops so as to get it correct and then tweek the side screens to fit.I live inNorth Buckinghamshire if you do not live too many miles away could I come and see how the hard top should fit. The information I need is to see where it should sit on the car and the clearances between the cappings at the side.

Regards

Ian

Hi Ian

I'm in Yorkshire so am quite far away unfortunately. But once I've fitted the hardtop properly this weekend I would be more than happy to take some pics or I have Friday off work next week so would be more than happy to take a trip.

Andy

Andy

Thanks for reply. Pictures would be most appreciated when finished.

As with all things TR I am getting a lot of help now that I have asked, so hope to be able to get enough info to fit.

regards

Ian

Well that was hard work but it's finally fitted.

Ian, I had to remove the LTD posts from the rear quarter to get the side brackets on the hood and cappings line up (which necessitated taking off the interior trim to retrieve the spanner and nut from the interior space when I dropped them on multiple occasions). Even then there was a lot of pushing involved as the capping and roof liner combined to make them very difficult to line up, so it's definitely a 2 person job ! I also removed the hood sticks whilst I was at it so I can give them a paint and going over.

I should say that I didn't install the fittings as they were already on the car, but I have renewed a couple of them.

P5200043.jpg

P5200045.jpg

P5200044.jpg

P5200049.jpg

P5210055.jpg

P5210056.jpg

P5210057.jpg

P5210062.jpg

P5210060.jpg