Repro aeroscreen location on post 60k scuttle

I have a set of the Moss repro aeroscreens and Peter W's nice mounting brackets. This is a later model TR3A so I need to drill the scuttle and weld on the cage nuts. I'm looking at various photos trying to decide where to drill. The repro screens are narrower than the originals and my mounts are different from the originals so I cant use the measurements from the factory holes.

Instead I was trying to see where the aeroscreens ended up relative to the air vent slots on the scuttle. I'm thinking that if I center the aeroscreen with respect to the air vent and put the bottom of the frame just ahead of the vent opening that should pretty much put the aeroscreen in the correct location and I can drill for the mounting brackets accordingly.

Does that seem about right or did the original screens end up in a different location relative to the vent slots, eg further to one side of the vent than the other, or further back or forward of the vent ?

Stan

Hi Stan,

The things I will say and I am sure you have thought of are - the hole locations must be far enough forward from the dash trim roll so the bracket does not touch it and far enough back from the screen so the screen rubber does not touch the bolt head. (when the full windscreen is refitted)

If it were me I would put the first (inner) hole in the original position, then measure the assembled leg distance centres of the repro aero screens (120 mm I think but check!), and pop in the second.

You could always use double sided tape to get the things in what looks and feels like the right place before attacking with a drill.

With my latest batch of brackets I reduced their overall length to give more clearance from the trim roll. Earlier ones were 1/2" longer.

If you need more ideas or any dimensions PM me.

Cheers

Peter W

PS Note to anyone interested in buying the brackets - I have only 8 cars sets of the brackets left for sale (10may2012)

The price is still UK£40.00 plus postage.

UK postage costs rose considerably on 1st May and are as follows.

UK 2nd class £3.00

UK 2nd class signed for £4.00

Europe not signed for £3.95

Europe signed for £9.00

Non Europe (USA Austr NZ etc) not signed for £4.95

Non Europe (USA Austr NZ etc) signed for £10.00

The items are insured for under £50.00 only

Hi Stan,

The things I will say and I am sure you have thought of are - the hole locations must be far enough forward from the dash trim roll so the bracket does not touch it and far enough back from the screen so the screen rubber does not touch the bolt head. (when the full windscreen is refitted)

If it were me I would put the first (inner) hole in the original position, then measure the assembled leg distance centres of the repro aero screens (120 mm I think but check!), and pop in the second.

Thanks Peter, I understand the front to back positioning relative to the dash capping and the windshield but it is the horizontal position that I'm worried about.

If I look at my buddy's TR2 I see that the holes are not quite equidistant from the air vent. The outer hole is about .25 inches further away from the end of the slot than the inner hole. So that means the original aeroscreen has a slight bias towards the outer edge of the scuttle (relative to the air vent slot). If I put my inner hole where the original was then with the narrower repro screens I will be biasing the installation the other way..

I did a test fit on the TR2 just to see where the repro screen ended up and it was pretty much parallel to the vent and pretty much right over the front lip of the vent. I imagine if you are using aeroscreens that vent isnt going to be doing much anyway..

Here are some pictures of my trial fit on the TR2 and also some pictures of another car with the repro screens attached with the mounting posts that they came with:

http://s38.photobucket.com/albums/e119/foster461/TR3A%20restoration%20project/22%20April%202012%20-%20Aeroscreen/

Stan

Heres some pics from another 2 that may help. I think these are repros as well.

Stuart.

081instrumentpanel.jpg

020noairvent.jpg

Heres some pics from another 2 that may help. I think these are repros as well.

Stuart.

Those look like the repro screens although somebody did a nice job making the mounts that adapt them for the factory holes.

I think I have a good idea where to drill now, just need to pluck up courage and drill the first hole..

Stan

• 2 months later...

Are the newly made mountings / feet to adapt the brooklands screens to the original fixing positions on the scuttle still available? I have an early tr3, have the chrome bolts in the original holes and would like to fit some screens using the original fixings. Thanks.

Are the newly made mountings / feet to adapt the brooklands screens to the original fixing positions on the scuttle still available? I have an early tr3, have the chrome bolts in the original holes and would like to fit some screens using the original fixings. Thanks.

Hi there and welcome to the forum.

Take a look at this recent post in the buy, sell trade section.

http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=35090entry262567

Stan

Stan,

Thanks for your help. Have sent a PM, lets hope Peter has some left.

Did anyone ever reproduce the ST screens?

I am wondering about how to make a rubber seal to go under the aeroscreen; could a main windscreen rubber be cut down / adapted, do you think?

Adam.

Stan,

I am wondering about how to make a rubber seal to go under the aeroscreen; could a main windscreen rubber be cut down / adapted, do you think?

Adam.

The lower screen rubber will do ideal, unfortunately the Brooklands frame isnt thick enough to rout a channel for it across underneath so it would need to be bonded onto the underside.

Stuart.

The lower screen rubber will do ideal, unfortunately the Brooklands frame isnt thick enough to rout a channel for it across underneath so it would need to be bonded onto the underside.

Stuart.

Take a look at this thread, it shows the nice job that Pink did and I recall he used lower windshield seal, glued to the rail

http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=32338entry238129

As far as I know there is nobody making the originals. The repros are surprisingly good value I think and with the retrofitted mounting points and Peters brackets they look good on the TR3A. They are narrower that the originals and they sit a bit higher I think but you can lower/level them by grinding material off the posts that go into the brackets.

There was a project a while back to reproduce taller and correctly shaped glass to make the repro screens look more like the originals. Andrew Smith will know more about that and if we are lucky he might post a picture.

Stan

Stan,

Adam.

Hi Adam,

I have glued a strip of orig lower screen seal to the bottom of my Brooklands screens using polyurethane glue meant for gluing shoe soles on.

It works a treat and stops the rain going down the heater vents.

Cheers

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

I have fitted aeroscreens to 1104 DZ , a TR3A and getting the best placement is a compromise. There's not o lot of room to play with.

I did not like the pedestals supplied so instead tapped a 6 mm thread on the pegs that rotate on the end of the aeroscreen. I then just drilled 4 holes in the scuttle making sure nothing fouled the mainscreen when it was also installedI'm not planning to take the aeroscreens off at all.

You also need to consider your tonneau as well as that can be a casualty if your aeroscreens are too far back.

I also tried to minimise the gap between the bottom of the aero screen and the scuttle and have them aligned to that any heat from 4kw fan heatercould go up between the gap between the aeroscreen and the main screen.

It's a different car when you drive it with the aeroscreens! And it only takes a few minutes with friend to take off the wiper arms and the main screen.

Yet to try it with the tonneau and just the screens plus motoring helmet. It will good especially if the sun would just come out!!

Bill G @ NB

In case you are'nt aware, you can get about 1/2" of movement forward/back by reversing the pedestal pillars i.e. the pillars are not centrally located on the ring part. Sorry if that don't make sense, should have tried harder at school!

Peter,

Do you have any screen feet left for sale?

Thanks.

Adam.

Yes I still have a couple of sets left.

Cheers

Peter W

PS PM (personal messge) if needed

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT