Some TRaction!! :wub:

newyear40th106.jpg

Oh! FAB I love that car.

Sue

Edited by SuzanneH

I absolutely love those Citroens! I'd really like one, especially the French version. :rolleyes:

I just sold one Ashley, completely in bits, its paying for my TR engine!!

Lovely Citroen.

A few years ago I owned one of these which apparantly owes much of it's steering design to the Traction. I understand that Riley bought a Traction and dismantled it to discover how it handled so well

img062.jpg

Regards

Peter

Edited by dykins

Riley, Morris, Jaguar, Jowett and others all pinched Citroen's front suspension. It was one of the most influential designs of all time, arguably along with certain Lancias, the world's first modern car.

It has also been suggested that the TR engine and derivatives were heavily influenced by the Citroen.

Bore wear was always a problem in those days and harder liners a solution. Jaguar simply used abetter grade of cast iron for their blocks and Rolls did all sorts of batty things before using dry liners from '55 to '59 and then back to wet ones as they had in the Phantom III, which gave endless trouble. They copied Packard front suspension and later employed Maurice Olley, I think from GM. Rolls did everything differently to make sure that no ordinary mechanic had a hope in hell of fixing their cars.

Ash

What really strikes you about driving The Citroen, she was built a few days before WWII started in August 1939, is how modern the chassis feels, you can drive it all day on N roads in France and never feel completely knackered, it does not roll but still has great feel on its X's with progressive breakaway, it does not feel like a front wheel drive car, probably because its not that well endowed with power, but cruises nicely at 105 -110 kph.

Truly remarkable design that bankrupted Andre Citroen !!

I first went in one in the early fifties when I was terrifying, it didn't roll or anything, it just cornered as fast as it was going and gripped like nothing else on the planet. ordinary Brit cars were awful by comparison in that they rolled, roll oversteered and had so little grip on narrow cross plies. It was an incredible experience and repeated a year later when another Citroen owner took me out in the brand new DS. It floated on air, literally and cornered as fast as it went, or seemed like it. Only the Morris Minor was as impressive, but dog slow by comparison and bumpy like the Traction.

My MKVI is the only car of the era that is quite as outstanding, because of its R-R's million pound steering mech and its well controlled ride. The Clouds appeared then and they were not drivers cars at all, but aimed at Americans anyway. Jaguar understood better and the XK120 was a far better product IMO.

Ash

Edited by Ashley James