Clutch Questions

Hello

I have the gearbox out of my TR4 as it had to be rebuilt. My car has a TR4A clutch in it which I put in only about 500 miles before the gearbox came out this time. Before the gearbox came out, the pedal didn't rebound very fast and if I changed gear quickly, particulalry into 3rd I had some scrunching of the gears. I checked out the hydraulics and the return sping and all seemed ok. Question is, could there be a problem with the clutch cover? Whilst the gearbox is out, should I replace it? Grateful for any advice on this.

Thanks

Myles

Hi Myles,

I had a similar problem with crunching into third gear on my gearbox. During a recent rebuild I found two things which I rectified, however, on my first test run the gearbox is fine now, but I don't know which one cured it.

1. I replaced the second and third gear synchro rings which were worn but within tolerence(just).

2. I found excess clearance on the second/third gear bushes, a new washer was fitted to set the clearance to the correct gap. (washer #6 on the Buckeye site)

Also look out for the tophat bush which breaks causing problems with third gear.

There is a better explanation of the gearbox overhaul on the Buckeye website aimed at TR6 but essentially the same gearbox.

http://www.buckeyetriumphs.org/technical/Gearbox/GearboxOverhaul1/GearboxOverhaul1.htm

Cheers

Graeme