Tyre Size..................again!!!

1 hour ago, Kevo_6 said:

Hi Gareth

Here is a pic of my car with 165s Michelin XAS.

2BBC9FE0-91E4-4AD9-B2D2-8F75493E24BA.jpeg

Got to love a rolling shot, the 165's look perfect by the way! Thanks for sharing 

4 hours ago, Kevo_6 said:

Hi Tom, I’ve been very happy with them and they were a lot better than the Vredestein Sprint Classics but to be fair they were a bit old.

Hi Kev.

What size are the 165's?  165/80-15 or 165/85-15?  Also, is your ride height standard or lowered?  Your car looks great with the 165's tempting me to look at changing from the current 195's!

Gavin

Edited by KiwiTR6
Extra question

Gavin the XAS is only available in 165/80-15, I also wondered about the ride height, but I think it's just two people on board, it certainly looks great, a proper nimble sports roadster! 

This and other debates about tyres and their cost reminds me of an advert for the Original Bell full face helmet which was the first on the UK market and considerably more expensive than any other helmet. Their strap line was "How much is your head worth?"

Food for thought.

Mick

17 hours ago, KiwiTR6 said:

Hi Kev.

What size are the 165's?  165/80-15 or 165/85-15?  Also, is your ride height standard or lowered?  Your car looks great with the 165's tempting me to look at changing from the current 195's!

Gavin

Hi Gavin, Gareth above answered the tyre size question and my car is slightly lowered and stiffer springs. Thanks for your kind comments.

9 minutes ago, Mk2 Chopper said:

In that case Kev, what springs are they, I want my car to look as good as yours! :D

Hi Gareth, thanks for your kind comments. I have the slightly lowered/uprated (TT4001Front & Rear TT4212) springs with standard shocks on the front and uprated levers on the back which I’m pretty sure I got from the TR Shop. Incidentally I don't have any issues with speed bumps and the ride is nice and I think the stance is justright (for me).

5 minutes ago, Kevo_6 said:

....I think the stance is just right (for me).

And me! Thanks for the info

Gareth

My return on experience (with 3 TR6 since '86) will confirm some recommendations. Back on the '80, after the original 165 R15, I tested the 185/70 R15 and then in the '90 the 195/65 R15... since my 1st choice is for 165 R15 (165/80-82 R15), 2nd choice 185/70 R15  and definitively not over 185, even if the cost is attractive on the 195/65 R15.

Regards 

15 hours ago, Kevo_6 said:

Hi Gareth, thanks for your kind comments. I have the slightly lowered/uprated (TT4001Front & Rear TT4212) springs with standard shocks on the front and uprated levers on the back which I’m pretty sure I got from the TR Shop. Incidentally I don't have any issues with speed bumps and the ride is nice and I think the stance is justright (for me).

Thanks Kev, that's exactly what I also was wanting to know.  Good to hear you don't have any clearance issues and the stance - it's perfect!

Gavin

Edited by KiwiTR6
spelling/grammar

According to the information I found on Moss the TT4001 is rated at 390lbs and is slightly lower and the TT4212 is rated at 420lbs and is standard ride height, elsewhere those two springs are said to be standard ride height, I suspect that they are shorter than stock but being stiffer come out nearly at stock or slightly lower than, if that helps find something similar? 

Just looked at Rimmers RR1414 and you've got 420lbs and one inch lower at front and rear is just described as uprated 

Edited by Mk2 Chopper
Correction
22 hours ago, Mk2 Chopper said:

Just looked at Rimmers RR1414 and you've got 420lbs and one inch lower at front and rear is just described as uprated 

Thanks Gareth.

I've just emailed Rimmers asking for specs of front and rears in the set.  I'll post the details once I've heard back.

Thanks Kev, did you notice or measure a drop when they were fitted? That confirms they are shorter than stock but as they are stronger it might negate much of the lowering effect, although on the front they do say slightly lowered, so they should level out a typically rear down TR6.

4 hours ago, Mk2 Chopper said:

Thanks Kev, did you notice or measure a drop when they were fitted? That confirms they are shorter than stock but as they are stronger it might negate much of the lowering effect, although on the front they do say slightly lowered, so they should level out a typically rear down TR6.

Hi Gareth 

I think it was about 15mm lower with new springs but I don’t know how tired the old ones were.

Good info thanks, I've ear marked them, and after I get the 165's sorted I'll look at my ride height and sort as necessary. Many thanks

On 11/25/2018 at 9:51 PM, Mk2 Chopper said:

That's great I'll look forward to your findings 

This is the second response I received from Rimmers after I asked for the expected change in ride height rather than the difference in spring height they quoted originally:

Thanks for the email, the free length difference in approx. 20mm, so you should see between 10/15mm drop in ride height.

This indicates that they are the same or very similar to the Moss springs based on the ride height change given by Kev.

Not really low enough for me as my car sits quite high on new standard springs and I'd like to drop it by at least 25mm if I can.

Hi Kev

Did you have your foot to the floor when driving in the pic as it looks like your car has the classic squat when  accelerating, which is one of the many many things that we love about our TR6's.

regards

Roger

45 minutes ago, Rogcastle said:

Hi Kev

Did you have your foot to the floor when driving in the pic as it looks like your car has the classic squat when  accelerating, which is one of the many many things that we love about our TR6's.

regards

Roger

Hi Roger, most definitely the foot to the floor. Is there any other way:D? We just love TR6 Quirks.

Michelin offer the XWX in 185-70 which is what I have on my driver. Dead ringers for the 165-80 in diameter, just 20mm wider. I haven't pushed them to the limit but they're lovely generally, and make the same note at 30+ mph as the XAS do ( I had these in 185 on my show car with 3.7:1 diff before it was made over, and they were phenomenal. NLA in that size, I just put XVS on to replace them due to age ).

I would have used the XAS but my wheels are 6" - too wide.

Cheers,

Tom