Fuel additives

Hi Neil,

You haven't mentioned which TR6 you have bought. There were basically 3 variants - the CR and CP engines were generally for use outside of North America, and ran with the Lucas petrol injection system. The others ran carburettors and a very low compression ratio. If you have a North American car, you definitely do not need any fuel additives. If you have a CP or CR car, converted to carb's - well that's possibly a little more muddy. Others will probably have more definitive suggestions than I - but I am deeply suspicious of fuel additives that claim to effectively increase the octane rating of your fuel - and that is the only reason you would need an additive. The modern petrochemical industry produces fuel that contains a number of additional chemical additives. If the octane booster you propose to use contains the same additives that are already in the fuel, it will give you nothing. I think I would advise running straight fuel from a reputable garage and oil company. If the car runs well in all conditions, then run with it. If not - well another topic on the 'forum' might be in order! Good luck, let us know how you get on.

Austin

Redex will reduce octane.

http://www.more-power.info/fuel-additives-for-power.htm

Use it once every year or so to clean out carbon deposits.

Octane booster is only needed if your engine has too high compression for 97RON . I doubt the effective compression ratio on a twin carb engine needs more than 97RON and will probably be happy on 95. Unless the head has been skimmed.

Hi Neil,

You haven't mentioned which TR6 you have bought. There were basically 3 variants - the CR and CP engines were generally for use outside of North America, and ran with the Lucas petrol injection system. The others ran carburettors and a very low compression ratio. If you have a North American car, you definitely do not need any fuel additives. If you have a CP or CR car, converted to carb's - well that's possibly a little more muddy. Others will probably have more definitive suggestions than I - but I am deeply suspicious of fuel additives that claim to effectively increase the octane rating of your fuel - and that is the only reason you would need an additive. The modern petrochemical industry produces fuel that contains a number of additional chemical additives. If the octane booster you propose to use contains the same additives that are already in the fuel, it will give you nothing. I think I would advise running straight fuel from a reputable garage and oil company. If the car runs well in all conditions, then run with it. If not - well another topic on the 'forum' might be in order! Good luck, let us know how you get on.

Austin

Thanks Austin think the engine is 150bhp CP series think i'll stick with the regular fuel and report back in a month or so.

Redex will reduce octane.

http://www.more-powe...s-for-power.htm

Use it once every year or so to clean out carbon deposits.

Octane booster is only needed if your engine has too high compression for 97RON . I doubt the effective compression ratio on a twin carb engine needs more than 97RON and will probably be happy on 95. Unless the head has been skimmed.

Thanks Peter

Thanks Austin think the engine is 150bhp CP series think i'll stick with the regular fuel and report back in a month or so.

Neil

Please forgive me for stating it, but are you sure?

There are not many owners that would ditch injection in favour of Strombergs :unsure:

Regards

Peter

Neil

Please forgive me for stating it, but are you sure?

There are not many owners that would ditch injection in favour of Strombergs :unsure:

Regards

Peter

Absolutely all the fuel injection parts were suupplied in a box in the boot!

Not as nice as Castrol R but it has a nice smell... CVL is even better, I use CVL in my elan which has a much more stressed engine than my 6. Millers stuff definitely makes the cars run sweeter... For me anyway.

I'll give it a try !

Has anyone tried the Total Momentum fuel availbale at most Tesco filling stations? The specification says "minimum 99 RON" and not too much more expensive, (relatively- they are all very expensive) than their other fuels, certainly cheaper than the truly leaded petrol, if you can find some.

Regards

John