TR2 Convertion to Overdrive ?

Hi there,

I'd like to convert our standard gearbox to an Overdrive one.

Now i'd like to know which a-type units I can use to rebuild my gearbox:

saloon, 2000, 2500, stag,...,... ?

Can i use the shorter mainshaft of the donor gearbox to rebuild our own box ?

And of course: does anyone has an OD Box spare ?

edwin

have a look at the triumph section on ebay. there a quite a few american reimport cars on offer for restoration.

i spoke to one of them(i can't remember which one) about a 4a he had on offer and he was telling me about the other loose engines and gearboxes that come in with the cars. Presumably to fill up the containers.

have luck

peter

Edwin

Ive done this with a few cars and my experience is quite interesting - and ive learn a lot about the gearboxes and overdrives.

The bottom line is that converting a non overdrive box to overdrive is costly, but it can be done. The downside is that the majority of parts, with the exception of the gear rails, cogs and front casing etc. cannot be used. Really you need to start with an overdrive gearbox unit - otherwise you will end up spending lots of money for little gain.

The early gearboxes were improved as they progressed to the TR6 and effectively the late boxes can be fitted to any early car. Early ones only had synchro on 2, 3 and 4, weaker casings, dont seem to hold oil as well etc. etc. The only question is originality - if this worries you then you need lots of money and to find an early overdrive - these seem to be quite rare. Ive only seen one TR2 box out of a car in 15 years.

My advice would be to get a late gearbox and a type overdrive unit (you could get a J type - which is apparently slightly better, but I have had no experience of this and understand that they were designed to run on 3 and 4 only - 2nd gear in OD is great!).

I own and run a TR4 and a TR4a. In the TR4 I have a stag A type overdrive an box, converted to tr spec - this is fabulous and is the srongest of all. Ive had no problems with it - unlike the TR4 unit I had before it. In my TR4a I have a very late TR4a unit, again very good (until MOSS rebuilt it - which I had to do over again and refuse to pay for - thats another story ......)

Im rebuilding a TR3a at the moment and for it I have bought another Stag A type Overdrive gearbox unit complete. I will have this converted to TR spec and rebuilt and slot this straight into the car. the guys I use are Overdrive Repair Services in Sheffield and each of the four units they have done for me (and at least another two for friends) have been superb. They can also get the gearboxes rebuilt by a local firm to them, but you can do the box yourself if you are handy.

In terms of costs: my stag a type OD box cost me £350 (totally complete - and this is important as the little bits cost a fortune), overdrive rebuilt by ORS £500 (competition spec.), gearbox rebuilt £300 (not done yet but typical cost for one days labour and parts) - add to this another £50 for misc bits and thats the proper price. Any less and you are doing well or else are not getting a proper job done.

Email me if you want all the details at tony.sheach@virgin.net

Regards

Tony

My advice would be to get a late gearbox and a type overdrive unit (you could get a J type - which is apparently slightly better, but I have had no experience of this and understand that they were designed to run on 3 and 4 only - 2nd gear in OD is great!).

It is easy enough to put O/D on 2nd as well with the J-type - another inhibiter switch, extra wiring and work, although there are some who say don't do it.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the advice !!

I'd like to use my original Gearbox, but if I have it converted to an OD box, They have to replace the mainshaft in my gearbox because this has to be a shorter one ?

Using a J-type seems a bit problematic because of the horizontal placed solenoid which won't fit in a tr2 chassis.

I know that there are conversion set available with a correct adaptor plate and shorter maintshaft, but i don't know who sells these...

Any info is welcome !!

Hi Edwin,

Racetorations and Revington offer overdrive kit conversions for different kind of overdrives.

Overdrive spares (Rugby) overhaul my A type overdrive and they did a superb job, they also can transform your standard mainshaft to an overdrive mainshaft for a price around £80.

Hope this help.

Guy

Finding a mainshaft for a TR2 o/d gearbox with non-synchro first gear is very difficult and accordingly expensive, you can't buy it from Moss i.e. When you can find one, converting your box to an o/d one can be done. Finding and fitting the ancillaries is the same job as with fitting a complete A-type o/d box. A J-type o/d gear box with the horizontal solenoid can be mounted in a TR2, but the rear mounting for the box has to be adapted : Moss is selling a kit part no 211361X.