TR2 alternation conversion

I am changing my TR from dynamo to alternator and I need resuring as to what I have to do. I seem to remember that there was an article in Traction some time ago, does any body remember what issue ?

Plus any tips as to what to do will be much appreciated.

Regards to all and thanks to those that answer.

Hi Julie09 ~

I carried out an alternator conversion on my TR3A ~ very well worth doing believe me. Don't forget that you have to modify the original control box. This is very easy to do but you must know what you're doing. If you PM me your home address I can send you a copy of the necessary wiring modifications.

Best Regards ~

Tom. ;)

Edited by Fireman049

Save the original dynamo and control box. They are date stamped and replacements are inferior. And unless you plan on adding additional electrical items, at least consider sticking with the original set-up! I had Cox rebuild mine for the TR-2 and it is doing great.

Dan

Look at both Racemettle http://www.racemettleltd.co.uk/refurb.html and the Racetorations http://www.racetorations.co.uk/page16.html web sites.

I have the lightweight alternator on my TR3, from a Kubota garden tractor - not electrically identical to the one Racetorations offer, but a similar sized item. I must say it is brilliant compared to the dynamo and control box it replaced. I made my own fitting kit and modified a TR wide belt pulley for the alternator (not hard if you have a lathe) I also added a NOS TR4/4A 50 amp ammeter but cannot for the life of me understand why. It will go up for sale eventually as I think it is surplus.

The RCT alternator does not need extra wiring, whereas my garden tractor one did.

The (larger diameter) Lucas alternator is cheaper and great on later wind up window cars as the front inner wheel arches are not so close to the engine as on a real TR. Adjusting room is critical. The shorter Nippon Denso unit is also a good way from the exhaust manifold too. All round excellent, but a long way from original!

Cheers

Peter W

PS You will need to re wire your battery as Negative earth and swap the wires on your coil. Check the heater and/or electric cooling fan will blow as designed rather than suck! They too may need their polarity swapping.

I am considering fitting an alternator but keep asking myself "why ?

I had a TR3 and rallied it extensively - usually all night rallies of 250 - 300 miles with two Lucas seven inch spotlights Those were the days) in use most of the time plus heater and electric strip demister. I competed in the Lands end trial during which it rained from Friday's start until Saturday evening, using most of the above accessories all the time plus screen wiper ! I also used it for regular foreign touring holidays

I have heard of overheating problems with alternators plus "packaging problems.

Why should I expect problems with my current TR3A ?

Why should I expect problems with my current TR3A ?

You shouldn't - as long as you have a really good battery (and they are much better in quality and capacity than when the cars were originally rallied). I suppose now someone will reveal that many of those old cars were actually fitted with alternators.

....as per Brians reply.

The dynamo will work well if the revs are kept up when high demand is required. Racing/rallying is just this.

Dynamo's don;t like high demand with low revs. This is where the alternator wins.

Also the Alternator has simplicity on its side - no control box.

Roger

Interesting point here - most Ford auto trans vehicles fitted with Lucas generators were fitted with a smaller diameter pulley as engine speed of auto's, especially when used in traffic was considered to be on average, lower than MTX vehicles.

There should still be some of these small pulleys (which are directly interchangeable with the standard version) "knocking around" somewhere although I can't remember the belt width (probably half inch) which again was the same for both pulleys

Has anyone fitted a dynalite alternator, dynamo lookalike, there is a positive earth version, just uses a relay to operate the charging lamp, quite expensive but looks good, AES in Tenbury seem to do them at a good price.

john

I dont know of anybody who has a Dynalite fitted and as its really aimed at the originality/concours market (and priced accordingly) any cars with them probably see a very limited amount of use ;) You would also need a good heat shield for it as Alternators arent keen on getting hot and with the enclosed type of casing they have to complete the look of a dynamo they would possibly be worse in that respect.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

I dont know of anybody who has a Dynalite fitted and as its really aimed at the originality/concours market (and priced accordingly) any cars with them probably see a very limited amount of use ;) You would also need a good heat shield for it as Alternators arent keen on getting hot and with the enclosed type of casing they have to complete the look of a dynamo they would possibly be worse in that respect.

Stuart.

Doesn't seem much point in a Dynalite for limited use, you might as well stick to a dynamo if the car is stuck in a garage with battery conditioner attached!!

Has anyone got any experience of a Dynalite alternator.

John