22nd April Gurston Down - 10 Competing Triumphs

The list of entrants is on the Gurston Down web site (www.gurstondown.org) and it looks like the Revington/Tr Register Hill Climb and Sprint Championship has 9 entries competing. Mr weedon in his indecently quick TR5 is also there, competing in a different class. So there'll be ten of us there. It'll be interesting seeing the TR's competing against the big healy's and I'm hoping to give some of the Sprites a run for their money in the 1300 Spitfire.

Gurston has a great little cafe and the spectating is excellent with good views of most of the track from the mid-point. It does however usually cost £10 entry as a spectator.

So on 'drive-it-day' why not come down and see us doing just that?

What a damp day. . . . .

Couldn't find the entry list to download from the website, couldn't find a programme onsite, and the PA seemed not to be functioning during what was left of practice. Lunch break cancelled owing to it all running so late. Efficiency was not in evidence. A couple of dogs in the spectator area. The spectator car park was slippery enough going in, and Panzer made it out only by a whisker, unlike another Beemer stuck having slid into the fence. Some gravel or even straw might have been helpful, I certainly don't envy those leaving later. Rain had been forecast, presumably the organisers hadn't noticed . . . .

There were some TRs there, good to catch up with a few old chums, but my having missed the first timed runs drying out from the rain, we certainly weren't waiting for the second runs at the tardy rate of progress. No idea how the times went, the organisers don't seem to bother putting up time sheets any more.

Shambolic is the word that springs to mind. Gurston used to be an excellent little venue, but I doubt I'll bother going again. Piss ups and breweries, waste of time, fuel and admission fee - at least it's only 20 miles away.

Cheers,

Alec

Are there any videos of this? Theres just one of the TR register Hill climb on Utube.

I almost thought of taking my E Type out for the drive to Gurston but was locked in by the London Marathon. Based on your feedback it seems I didnt miss much. And definitely saved myself a post event cleanup. Mmmm. Hopefully the other venues wont be as bad as im looking forward to some of them. Normally do the Prescott dayout with the E Type register. And Goodwood track day, thats in May

The rain got in the way but by cancelling lunch for the volunteer marshalls the afternoon sessions ran mostly to program. Unfortunately you can't beat rain, the way it affects events, car parking and enjoyment.

I will post a video on youtube shortly. See thenicktr6 for a selection of southern uk hill climbs, all in a TR6.

Happy Hillclimbing to all those who enjoy a bit of competition and don't throw their toys out of the pram at a bit of rain or delay....

Wiscombe this weekend (29th April) will also be wet, but it should be fun!

Nick