Electric fuel pump

I've fitted a Facet Posiflow fuel pump to my Tr7 v8, its low pressure as Im running a carb setup not EFI. Although saying in the instructions that its quiet in operation after priming, guess what...........like a mini jackhammer! Have fitted rubber bobbin mounts to it too but to no avail, it really is quite annoying loud. Anyone got any ideas or know of any other type of pumps that are better?

Oops sorry Stuart, neglected to mention it's not a twin SU setup like the normal 3.5. I have a single Webber (think its a 5 or 600cfm) linked to a janspeed plenum via the turbo. Have no idea of bhp, flow rate required etc etc as nothing like this engine listed in Haynes wonderous book of mysteries! ha ha . The closest I can get to it is that its maybe a South African export engine as some were fitted with a turbo, then again it could just be a reworked unit with aftermarket woosh engineering. Ntc....its not just a tick mate ......it sounds like a bleedin Chinooks landing on the drive :) Would a redtop be a better option, low psi obviously. Oh have also got a syntec pressure regulator in line, are filter king more reliable/better performing. thanks for taking the time to reply guys,reading this forum and soaking up the centuriesworth of knowledge and experience helps a lot. Really want to get this beast on the road asap!!!

Where have you got it mounted? have you thought about putting it at the back of the car on the fire wall where the pipe comes out of the tank.

Look at the TR8 mounting bracket for the pump and exhaust hanger.

Cheers

Ian

I've just put a V8 (3.5 twin SUs) in my TR7 and I'm using one of these http://www.fastroadc...od&productId=29 its just about audible when the engines not running. Its rated at 120 litres/hour and is available in 2 types - a sucker for mounting near the carbs and a pusher which is mounted close to and below the level of the tank - not sure how it would cope with a turbo and the pressure is probably too low for the Weber(?). Future plans involve a Weber (600) and for that I have one of these http://www.holley.com/12-802-1.asp - 110 gallons/hour and comes with a regulator which can be set to keep your carb happy. Its a geared pump so no clicking/clunking - just the whirr of an electric motor.

Cheers

Tim

Edited by tim_trinda
  • 2 weeks later...

I have used the Facet red top fuel pump with a 4 barrel holley carb and with my recent engine upgrade and an edelbrock 650 avs carb. I am now using a carter rotary fuel pump as opposed to the red top solenoind type.I have found neither pumps are very quiet in operation. and are mounted on bobbin mounts and thick neoprene padding.

In normal driving it is hard to hear the pump over the sound of the exhaust,

Knortech you're absolutely right! Have managed to fire the old girl up and man, was i crazy thinking it would make any difference ha ha Problem was all that time spent trying to get the engine going i was listening to this annoying, repetitive, loud clacking. Now there's just this delicious throaty burble! All systs go :-) fingers crossed mot and paint within the next two weeks, then it'll be play time. Have uploaded a short video on the old tube of you but made a couple of mistakes Im afraid. Firstly I didn't realise my phone was recording in HD so its a bit shaky, secondly I titled it 'start up' and as its in mp4 format it went in as 'start up mp4' so now unfortunately its alongside all the shiny, many hundreds of thousands of pounds worth of maclarens instead of its rightful place among the lovely wedges on there :-( so if you'd like to waste a minute and a half of your precious time please take a quick butchers, id appreciate the feedback. Thanks for all the guidance and motivation I've received. Happy days!

Tim

it is one of andy wiltshire fuel tanks I have fitted

I've been looking at those myself and Andy has sent me some hi-rec pictures - they look very well made. Did you have any problems fitting it?

Cheers

Tim

Edited by tim_trinda