Chassis rustproofing.

I have had to butt weld in a small plate after cutting out a bit of 'grot' on the N/S  chassis rail just behind the jacking point of TS952's chassis. The upper rail, peering through the hole I cut, was much to my amazement shiny metal! I want to waxoyl the box sections and the only way I can see to do it is drill a couple of holes on the inner sides of the box section and then blank off with grommets after getting plenty of waxoyl in. The rear part is no problem as it is open at the end. I wonder if anybody out there has any better (or not so drastic) suggestions.  Regards,  Nigel

Nigel

i use plastic grommets to fill air flow measurement test holes on ventilation ductwork, they are a snug air and water tight fit in 10mm holes.

a 10mm hole will give you a nice sized opening for squirting waxoyl in all those nasty little rust traps and will not reduce the strength of the chassis.

you can easily remove the grommets to top up or check the condition of the inside of your chassis, the best way is to have 2 holes in a chassis member, in a darkened garage put your eye to one hole and have someone hold a maglite or similar halogen torch right up to the other one, 'hey presto' all is revealed.

send me your address and i wll pop a dozen or so in the post.

regards

peter

Great idea, shame you're not a keyhole surgeon Peter, just think what could be done with one of those endoscopes, you could even stick it in a plug hole and have a look at the valves, I've a dentists' type of mirror on a telescopic aerial type gizmo, which is very useful, but a shuftyscope would be even better.

endoscope!! good idea jonlar.

what about the ones you can hire from builders merchants for checking wall cavities?

not exactly medical science but may do the job?

not sure about the size of the hole though?

Hi all,

Thanks for the offer Peter, you should have my details by now.  I thought this was the way to go. I have got a 3' length of tubing with a home made spray end which bolts on to a shultz gun. With a fair bit of air it's brilliant  - or it flys apart!!  Another Nigel 'bodge' but it works. My endoscope Jon was to cut out an 8" strip from the bottom rail and peer inside, as I said I was amazed that there was a lot of shiny steel still in there after 50 years. I think this section had got thin on the O/S as there was a 1" hair crack around the shock. mounting, it has never been modified, also there is no strenthening plate on the centre cruciform which I think was added at about 1500.  This will be fitted. The only other rot is one outrigger tube plus a couple of the outrigger plates. The rear end is sound. I will also add the extra tube in the rear spring mounts.  At least when this is done (and the new fulcrum pin welded in) I can get on with the interesting mechanical bits. Again a plea from a computer illiterate - simply, how do you post photo's.  Regards to all,  Nigel