What other engines fit a TR7

I know of a racing TR7 that runs the Vauxhall 2 Litre XE20 engine, which would probably be my choice. The other option would be a Zetec 2 litre out of a Mondeo etc.The sceptics run a Buick V6 in quite a few and theirs a huge amount of tuning bits for them around.

Jim

What's wrong with the Sprint option? 127bhp out of the box, probably 135 - 140 with K+N's, tubular manifolds, sports exhaust and a rolling road setup.

Speaking PURELY personally, I don't like fitting modern engines in classics - when does an old car with modern mechanicals cease to be a classic and become a repplica or similar?

Mike

I really love my TR7 and I want to drive it. I think its an amazing looking car, and I'd like to think of it as a modern car, and give it the benifit of modern mechanicals.

I have to agree I'm torn between that and keeping it to classic spec, but surely if I convert it to a V8 SD1 it becomes a replicaof a TR8.

2.0 cosworth,T5 box,there is enough room,looked into this some time ago.

A chap up here has an unfinished FHC with a vauxhall 2.0 TC looks like ther is plenty of room ,good thing about this engine it is easy tuned at a relative low cost.

John

Agree with Mike , sprint engined TR is a very nice car there is a great deal of unjust fallacy about these engines,if properly built and maintained they are excellent.

Chris, has your heart rate returned to normal after your test drive???

John    :D

My TR7 has the Buick 231 (3.8L) V6 in it from a 1983 Oldsmobile, and it really transforms the car. Even with all the emissions controls on my engine causing it to make maybe 10-20hp more than the stock 2L, the car pulls much harder than the stock motor in lower rpms, and continues to do so throughout the rpm range.

I can't wait until I get the time to work with the motor, I've got a better intake, throttle body injection, maybe new high-compression and ported heads, racing headers, and will be converting it to dual exhaust, so I should be pushing 170 or more hp, which will really make the car move  :D

I've seen people put in small block chevy 350 v8s (although those make the car too front heavy), ford 302 V8s, chevy 4.3L V6s, Ford SHO V6s (that was a nice conversion), ford 3.8L V6s, Ford 2.8L Capri V6s (my nephew's TR7 has one), Toyota 4cyl motors (my dad and my brother's TR7s used to have those), and there are plenty of other options out there. Before I found my TR7 (which already had the Buick V6 in there) I had considered all sorts of engines, the ones I liked most were the Nissan KA24DE (from the 240SX, great motor with plenty of torque and tons of room for modding), Cadillac Northstar (would have been expensive, but one of the most interesting swaps for sure, dependable motor with more than enough power stock for a 7), Ford 2.3L Turbo (from the Turbocoupe thunderbirds and SVO mustangs - strong motor, cheaply available in the US, and potential for alot of power). Also there's a turbo version of the Buick 3.8L V6 that was in the Buick grand national that would be quite a bit of fun as well :)

You can fit almost anything under the hood besides a big block motor, it all just boils down to how much work you want to do, how fast you want to go, and how much you want to spend. Given a moderate budget and expectations, the Buick V6 is one of the best swaps, considering you can get almost every part you need for the swap from johnscars.com, which is how my motor was put in.

Well I personnaly love the Sprint option. OK so its not making the TR anymore modern than it already is but you can have some belting fun in a sprint engined car. To me many modern engines seem to lack the torquey grunt of older engines and that is one thing the sprint has in bagfulls. I ran a self converted 16v TR7 for several years and it was supererb...the most enjoyable car Ive ever owned. It was quick when needed, placid in traffic and would happily return well over 30 to the gallon on a run. And all that with an engine that should have been in there from the start.

just my 2p :)

Rob