Calling all diff experts.

Guys I'm going through a pre-season back end check up (Doctor says the cream will work wonders :D ) Anyway I've taken the drive shafts off for a re-bush of the trailing arms which has has led to a few questions around the state of my diff.

Sorry if daft questions (rather daft than dead) BUT

1. When turn the propshaft only the left hand drive flange on the diff turns !!!!!!

2. If I turn the left hand drive flange then both left and right turn!!!

3. If i turn the right hand drive flange nothing turns !!!

All seems a bit Greek to me. Anyone shed any light on right or wrong?

Thanks,

Jim

Hello Jim

Thats how diffs work. If you have it out change the oil. Take the back plate off clean out fill up with oil. Refit new gasket and put back in. Simples

Lee

Edited by Lee Sellars

Hello Jim,

The thirty row from your question cannot be right, when you turn the left or right hand drive flange AND the gearbox are not in the neutral, the opposite drive flange turns in the opposite direction, if not you missed a planet gear :huh: . That’s how a differential works!

When you select the gearbox in neutral then it is possible that the opposite drive flange not turns because the brake on that side have a little resistance or the outer axle shaft will not turn totally free (not jacked up the trailing arm) in this case the propshaft turns.

Cheers,

Rien

That's OK Rien I knew what you meant and agree with you, whichever flange you turn at least one of the others should turn also!

Jim, are you absolutely sure nothing else turned when you tuned the right hand flange as noted in line 3? If so then you do indeed have a problem!

Regards

Graham