Sign in to follow this  
PILKIE

Pilkie's New Project

Hi all.

I attended the Wheelnuts Classic car show at St Roses school in Stroud Gloucestershire with the MGTF1500 on sunday with the GLAVON TR area group.

An annual show I attend every year as its for a good cause.

Its the MG's 1st proper show since I finished it!

The MG attracted lots of admiring onlookers,with a possible couple interested in buying it.
Had plenty of kids sitting in it having their pics taken by mum and dad.
Some onlookers couldnt believe I was letting them,or anyone for that matter sit in it! :rolleyes:

At all shows I attend I have an open door policy to encourage the young'uns and yoof to get the classic bug!

Even some adults act like big kids and dream when allowed to sit in a classic!
There were some really nice, TR's 4,5,6's, MGB's, MGA's, MGT'types,E-types,USA muscle sports,Daimler Darts,,,in fact all sorts,even a steam powered car!!

Well,,to end the day on a high,I was really chuffed,as it was awarded,

Best sports car in show! :D:D

Photo06601.jpg

This pic was taken at the Bristol Classic car show,on drive it day weekend,its 1st proper drive out since finishing the resto.

Photo06561.jpg

Edited by PILKIE

Well done Dave you have really done a cracking job and rightly deserved to being chuffed.

Cheers Phil

The MG is for sale on Ebay classifieds and various classic car advertising sites!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230960785526?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

I have also just booked me and it in for the weekend,weather permitting,and if it hasnt sold by then,to the Motormart at the Beaulieu spring autojumble this May 18/19th.

Always good to see any of you,so come and say hi,even if you dont want to buy it,and if you know anyone who might be interestred then feel free to pass on my details.

If it sells before the Beaulieu weekend,then I wont be there!!

Edited by PILKIE

A final couple of pics sent to me today.

1st one courtesy of Phil Critchley GLAVON group.
MGAWARD2.jpg

Neighbour snapped this one just after I had prepped it for the show!

MGTF1500bigpic.jpg

Hi all.
This will be the last instalment of my MG's year long story.
This morning at 10:00 the new owner collected it,and is currently driving it to his home in London,en route to its eventual new home as a holiday car on his farm in the Dordogne.
Look out for it if you are on the M4,M25!
MGgoes2.jpg

I'll keep an eye out for it on the N89 in Dordogne(shire)

Alan

The new project arrived this weekend!

It has a 99% rust free and totally solid chassis/shell!!

Engine and box work and it sounds V good,but it is very cosmetically challenged!.

Been sleeping in a dry garage locally for the last 25yrs,and was bought as a 2nd car when kids came along for the 18yrs before that.

All it needs!

4 wings,2 doors,new wood frame + back doors,new chrome,re-wiring,new brakes, suspension rubbers and bushes,tyres,a complete clean,stonechip and paint of susp parts and the underside,and a total body repaint and full retrim in a new more striking colour scheme.

And of course the next year to do it,in time for its 50th birthday on 1/6/14.

Dont worry I wont be tainting this forum any further with it.

But if anyone does want to follow its progress,then bookmark this on the MMOC forum.

http://www.mmoc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=50661

Cheers Dave.

Asarrived4.jpg

Asarrived3.jpg

Wheeler dealers 'did' a moggy traveler recently. May be of interest Dave?

They ended up replacing all the wood, which looks like a major exercise (removing the roof etc!).

Anyway..will be following its progress as enjoyed seeing the MG being restored.

Hi Andrew.

Got the wheeler dealers moggy episode on disc to look at now and then!

I have a real old skool MM expert to hand that I can call on for advice if needed!

But no doubt knowing him he will be popping over at least once every weekend to

see whats going on,and more than likely do a bit as well!

Going to the MMOC 60th anniversary meet tomorrow for parts and inspiration.

Once I have got the car through its MOT,which wont take that much,

I will do a complete assesement of time to do,and at what cost,V selling on quick

to an enthusiast who will want to keep it once they have restored it.

I would like to do it,but if it is going to costs more to do up than it would be worth to then sell

then its not viable for me.

We will see!!

Long ago the bass player in my band had a Traveller, dreadful excuse for an estate car, the best thing we ever did was to give it a swift ending with a hand grenade, it burned well . . . . .

It may not quite have been the worst vehicle I've ever driven, but it's fighting for that position with a Standard Atlas and a Commer PB, but on reflection the Morris could top 40mph without rendering the occupants physically sick . . . .

Cheers

Alec

Thank god they are far more collectable,and currently more valuable than TR7's!

Speed isnt everything with an estate!

At least they are spacious,reliable,easy to maintain,and get parts for,,popular,and a very practical classic,especially for a family.

Back in the late 70's,I borrowed mums traveller,& I went on a fishing holiday to the broads,took all my gear and I could sleep in it

There are plenty of classic I cant stand,but I respect others choice to own one,and dont go about knocking what they own because I dont like them,or because I have had one to many shandies,and cant control myself!

Yeah - great car the Traveller, Pilkie; I passed my test using my Ma's Trav, v. early in 1967. Though not cavernous inside, its folded-seat platform was capable of transporting numerous household goods, dogs, bikes, canoeing paraphernalia, etc. - and it was a passable passion wagon, too. I've had a 4-door Minor for 30 yrs, now - lowered and with 1275 Spridget engine and 'box. I just never drive it, unfortunately. And though bodily it's v. good, its value is not high - unlike the Trav, which understandably commands more of a premium. Just ensure the wood is cured and treated!

Tim.

Always admired a MM traveller myself and vaguely recall my father having several MM's of varying types when I was a kid. The other half fancies the obvious white convertible with red interior which I quite like myself. I'd have to have a 5 speed box and better brakes from what I've heard though.

Never seen you out in yours Tim.

Good luck with the restoration.

Paul

Like many old cars,pre 80's,they do lend themselves well to modifications by the go faster,stopping quicker and comfort brigade,and if that is what they want,then thats fine,its their car and their choice!.

But for me,I prefer to keep my cars as original as possible,"if at all possible", as normally they will have a bit more desireability over a modified or customized motor.

So many people say you have to improve an old classic,"To keep up with modern traffic",,RUBBISH!!!

Drive the car as it was built to be driven,and any well maintained classic should have no problem performing as it was meant to!

If I am driving at the speed limit,and some modern driving idiot is up my arse,trying to get past this slow old crock?,who has the problem?? Not me!! Its them who ought to slow down!!

If its slow with poor brakes,poor handling,"compared to moderns",well that is how they were,and its all part of the classic car driving experience!

Just dont drive it like you expect it to perform like your modern car,or buy a 1980's/90's modern classic!

Just bought another car for the fleet!

Its possibly the earliest known still on the road Series 2 Rover P6V8!

Built 19/8/70 chassis no: 27!!

3 owners!

1st reg'd owners were Rover themselves for a Rover S/West area rep who did 36k miles from1970-72!!

Then one owner from 1972 - 2007 who did 95k miles!

Stored 2007-2012 while having resto and recomission work done.

Now on 136k miles with original engine!

Average mileage 3k per annum!

Needs some TLC in places,but overall a very nice useable classic!!

Not my favourite colour though!!

2.jpg1.jpg

4.jpg

3.jpg

Edited by PILKIE

Looks a lovely car, just a nice patina inside, are you Keeping the Mushroom paintwork Dave ?

Mick Richards

I will keep it original tobacco leaf,,if I keep it!!!

However it may be moving on to a serious collector of historic,very early,and prototype P6's!

And he keeps all his cars as per factory original!!

Very nice woodie.

To follow up on estate cars, the C20 Volvo is the ultimate thing to me.

Well just an update!

Due to my current medical condition I decided to sell the Morris Traveller and the early Rover P6V8.

Sold them both on Jan 5th,and I managed to actually make a few quid so didnt loose out! :)

But as I have good active energy days and bad totally knackered days,and over the last month or so,

I was getting really bored on my good days,I just had to get a car to tinker with for the next year,

as the TR6 and my daily driver P6V8 are well up together!!

Luckily up popped a very solid 1969 S1 Rover P6V8 on ebay,so I got in quick and did the deal on friday!

It will keep boredom at bay on my good days,and is good medicinal therapy.

Its a 50 footer,as each panel will need tlc.

I am going to gather together a set of the best panels I can and give it a respray in a rare P6 colour April yellow.!

Refurbish the red leather interior,new carpets,fit a set of chrome rostyles and rover mudflaps and a black webasto sunroof!

As I will be off work,"My p/t delivery driving job", until at least 2015 ive got the time to do it!!

That is,as long as my illness,and the chemotherapy,and finances allow me to!!

Piccy album link=http://s107.photobucket.com/user/PILKIE/library/1969%20Rover%20P6%20S1%20V8?sort=9&page=1

th_Photo0889.jpg th_Photo0920.jpg th_Photo0923.jpg

Edited by PILKIE

Great Project to keep you busy when feeling up to it

all the best

Cheers

Alan

Sold on the white one and bought this one instead! :D

An early 1968 Rover P6 S1 V8, 2 owners, with just 43k documented miles!

Should be an F reg but 1st owner held it back for the new G reg in Aug 68!

An immaculate rock solid base unit thats never been welded!!

A few touch ups to the paintwork!

A sweet eng/box/drive,near mint interior! Dry stored since 1995.

Recomissioned,fully serviced,new MOT.

And for only £500 more than I sold the white one for! :)

A NO BRAINER BARGAIN!!! B)

My spare set of chrome rostyles will suit it well!

ROVER-P635V8AUTOS119682OWNERSONLY43000mi

ROVER-P635V8AUTOS119682OWNERSONLY43000mi

sexyseats.jpg

Edited by PILKIE

Cheers!

The white one gets collected tomorrow,and I pick up the green one on weds from Poole!

Despite its shiney polished up looks,it actually really needs 4 new wings and then a total repaint!

I've also bought in a seperate deal!

The 4 nos wings and a set of 4 still boxed nos light units from the last owner! :)

Along with a few other NOS bits!