Sign in to follow this  
PILKIE

Pilkie's New Project

The plastic rad fan that came with the donor engine didnt look very period,so I bought a 4 blade metal fan from a triumph herald that bolted straight on.
I've sand blasted it and painted it silver,and will fit tomorrow.
No luck in finding an original working or even repairable TF radiator!
So ive done some measurements,got a pic of an original one,and am having one made to fit the space available.
It will be a basic square tanked job,but if the maker can find a suitable top/bottom tank off a scrapper rad that he can use to make it look more period he will.
Should be ready about mid Jan,and at 1/3 the price of having an original,"if you can find one" rebuilt via the MG dealers!

Am going to my local s/s exh maker tomorrow,and ask him to pop over and give me a price and timescale to build a system.

Its a basic 1 box straight through system,so will be a doddle for them to make!

IMAG2161.jpg

looks like it will be the bees knees when finished, you will need to build a bigger garage!!

Alan,

Hi all.

A big moment has just happened at midday on the 1st Jan 2013.
I wired up a temporary ign switch on the bulkhead also an oil pressure light,turned it over till oil pressure was up.
Wired up the ign and checked for a spark on turnover.
As there is no radiator or exhaust,if it starts I wont run it for long.
Primed the fuel system,turned the tickover screws up a bit,wedged the choke 1/2 open,tunred the ign on,pressed the starter switch and crossed my fingers.
AND WAHAY!!!
Hope the links work!!
1st start.

2nd go

Edited by PILKIE

3rd go

The next start up will be once the rad has been made and fitted,and my mates,mate has been round to build the s/s exhaust for it.

Today I have ordered the interior trim kit and leather seat cover kit in biscuit,new black carpets,and new chrome.
Going to the DVLA to get it registered when my insurance turns up.
Finalise the radiator spec,and await the s/s/ exh guy to turn up.
Then have a good tidy up in the garage.

Plenty of pics to see via the links in my signature.

Edited by PILKIE

Ive just had the rad back for a trial fit for size and to mark up for cap,pipes,mounts,before final fabrication this week,and it fits a treat!!
The bonnet and grille trial fit ok as well!!
Starting to look the part now!! :D
Carpets,new bumpers,overriders,door locks,and various other chrome trims have arrived!!

Interior trim kit and leather seat covers currently being made to order,should be ready early Feb.
I have refurbed the bumper mounting irons and brackets,to assemble bumper and overriders onto them before fitting to car.

Exhaust is going to be done this weekend.

Various bits are at the chromers,fortunately they are in good condition,as they are either extreemly expensive repro,s or NLA.
IMAG2188.jpg
IMAG2193.jpg
IMAG2195.jpg

I needed to discover the type of fuel cap required to fit to the tank neck,as it isnt an original tank,its from a Naylor TF replica from the 80's but its the same dimensions.
The fuel cap turned out to be a parts bin item as used on 1970's Lotus,TVR.
Finally tracked down a Lotus supplier who did just the locking lid with a new hinge pin for £40.

IMAG2186.jpg

The custom s/s exhaust is now made and fits great,just got to get and screw on the clamps and hangars.
Start it up,test for leaks and see how it sounds!

IMAG2206.jpg

IMAG2210.jpg

IMAG2208.jpg

IMAG2205.jpg

Ive also found a 3 in 1, amp,temp,oil gauge that will match near perfect the rev and speedo for that more in keeping look!
If I win it,I will make another dash and see what I think!
I will check the possibility of using the original dash and mounting them behind the octagonal chrome bezels!
3in1dial.jpg

Tomorrow I will make what I hope will be the final visit to the DVLA to get it registered,after a few minor but frustrating paperwork problems.
Radiator will be ready to collect on tues!!!
And ive just bought a pair of new brooklands aeroscreens.

Edited by PILKIE

It's going to be a great car Dave, Out of interest, did you seal the wooden floor underneath?.

Cheers

Tony

Hi Tony.

The wooden floor panels had to be trimmed and trial fitted before being sealed/treated.

Also gives me a stable working platform,and a point of reference while I do other jobs,like trans tunnel placement.

Once I am ready to do the interior trimming I will remove and treat it.

YIPPIE>>> WAHAY>>> AT LAST!!!!

After all the frustrations and techincal hurdles thrown at me by the DVLA,its finally legal to drive on the road,although its not quite road ready,"roadworthy" yet!

1954 MGTF1500 Now allocated the reg no; 524 YUR , is now taxed,insured and the V5c arrives in a few weeks.
It wont take much over the weekend to make it roadworthy,so at least I can drive it a few 100 yds up and down to test things out before venturing onto the main roads.

Off to a classic show and jumble tomorrow with my nephew in his Mini,and will get some black/silver numberplates made up while there!

YEEEEEHHAAAA!!!!! :D:D

Made the dashboard,just got to fit switches and fit to main panel.

IMAG2234.jpg

BIG box arrived today with a full trim panel,leather seat trim kit,front grille slat set and a few more chrome bits and fittings.

I will start the retrim this week,and the chromer should of finished the front grille surround by end of month'ish.

Edited by PILKIE

A quick update to this weekend...

Fitted dash in pro-tem so I could make sure all switches etc fitted,and wire everything up,and all works as it should.

Had to take the gearbox out to replace a faulty rear crank oil seal,and fitted an oil pressure sender T piece and pipe at the same time.

Stripped the wheels back to bare metal,primed and smooth stonechipped them prior to giving them a good coat of silver when its warm enough.

Radiator all plumbed in and working as it should,and S/S exhaust fitted with proper hangars.

It can now be driven in and out of the garage while sitting on a tub of paint!

Went round the car a couple more times just to make sure there were no oily,or potentially dirty jobs that still needed doing before I start on the retrimming.

Decided to start on rebuilding the seats,so took the drivers one into the lounge where its nice and warm and stripped it down to see how it all goes together,with plenty of pics incase I forget!.

Took the seat to a furniture upholsterer I know well,who used to do car seat years ago,so we could work out what was needed,and he supplied me with all I need to refurb the seats guts before fitting the covers.

Had to make a new wood base plate as it was cracked and not quite up to holding new tacks.

Both the dunlopillow base foam and seatback coir,horsehair material were in very good nick,just needing a little padding out,and to firm things up after nearly 60yrs of bum bouncing,but the wadding was past it.

Gaffer tape comes in handy for holding things in place while getting the shape right.

First seat nearly finished,Ive just got to leave it overnight to settle after stretching,teasing and lightly tacking the covers into place,before finally teasing out any last creases and tacking down permanently,and fitting the back panel.

The second seat should be easier to do as long as its in the same good condition!!

Never done a seat rebuild/retrim before amd am well happy with the results,and once the last seat is done the rest is easy!!

It shouldnt take more than a couple of weeks to finish,depending on when the chromer finishes the grille and bonnet hinge!!!!

th_Photo0432.jpg th_Photo0414.jpg th_Photo0431.jpg th_Photo0421.jpg

th_Photo0439.jpg th_Photo0420.jpg th_Photo0435.jpg th_Photo0437-1.jpg

Photo0444.jpg

Nicely done Dave, nice complimentary colour to the paint. What colour carpets are you fitting, same as the seats?

Cheers

Tony

Hi Tony.

The carpets will be std black,interior panelling same as seats,and tonneau will be tan,so darker than seats.

Not the original the colour scheme of my car,but an originally available colour scheme..

Missing pics! :angry::angry:

DARNED NEW PHOTOBUCKET SETTINGS! :rolleyes::angry:

Edited by PILKIE

Both seats are now completed and ready for fitting.
2nd seat was in better overall condition,but I still renewed the wood baseplate,to be sure the tacks got a good grip!
Will do the final fit of the gearbox tunnel,and take dash back out tomorrow,and get it all ready for carpet and trimming.

ALL STRIPPED>>>
Photo0458.jpg
GRADUAL STRETCH AND TACKING>>>
Photo0462.jpg
FIDDLY BITS>>>
Photo0464.jpg
BACK PANEL HIDDEN TACKS INSERTED WITH NO BLOOD THIS TIME!>>>
Photo0479.jpg
ALL FINISHED>>>
Photo0472.jpg
BOTH DONE>>>
Photo0477.jpg

Edited by PILKIE

UPDATE!!!
Had to measure all the sections to have vinyl glued to them and make a cutting plan.
Measured and checked 4 times before cutting!
Rear stowage box frame and lid and wheel arches done,doors fitted,new grille slats assembled,wheels refurbed.
Pedal rubbers,dust cover,floor access panel and tranny tunnel all fitted ok.
Just a few bits of fettling with door locks to do,and I can tack on all the trim panels, bung the carpets down,bolt the seats in,fit the aeroscreens,refit the dash and wiring,and get the new tyres fitted to the refurbished wheels.
The early 15" motolita has come back from my antique mate,fully refurbished looking great,and ive adapted the modern looking boss center to fit a period big chrome/enamel MG badge.
Hopefully the rechromed grille surround and new tonneau will arrive next week.
Photo0505.jpg
Photo0507.jpg
Photo0516.jpg
IMAG2263.jpg

IMAG2244.jpg
IMAG2253.jpg
IMAG2255.jpg
Photo0498.jpg
Photo0500.jpgIMAG2264.jpg

Edited by PILKIE

Dashboard now in,aero-screens fitted.
Front grille had its final dip in the copper tank last night,and is going to the chrome tank today,will be ready friday all being well!

IMAG2278.jpg
Photo0559.jpg

Its VERY close to the end now!!

Exactly 1yr to the day ,"bought on 24/3/12",and just within budget! "I think"???
Carpets and seats are in,got to cut a hole for the new gearlever position,and trim a gaiter in,then only the underdash panel to fit when all the wiring has been tested on the road.
The handbrake was in need of a rechrome or paint,but I had another idea!
Painted the mount and covered the rest in vinyl.

Final items,front grille,bumpers,bonnet get fitted tomorrow,ready for its maiden drive on the weekend weather permitting!

A week of test driving and fettling before,"weather permitting",attending the Coleford festival of Transport on Easter monday in the Forest of Dean.

IMAG2290.jpg
IMAG2291.jpg
IMAG2298.jpg
IMAG2295.jpg
IMAG2296.jpg

Its all but finished!

Just a few little jobs to do in the morning,like find the gearlever I adapted for it! :rolleyes:

And paint the spare wheel rim!

Weather permitting it will be driven on the road for the 1st time in 27yrs,

And thats exactly 1yr since it was delivered to me.

Difficult to get a good piccy,as it was nasty outside!

Better pics with luck tomorrow.

IMAG2309.jpg

IMAG2301.jpg

Looks superb Dave, what a beauty. With regard to the spare wheel mount, have you considered covering the face of it with a thin rubber glued on and cut neatly. This would look better with the spare wheel off but also protect the spare when it's on the mount, hope you don't mind me suggesting.

Cheers

Tony

Test drive went very well today.
The brakes need adjusting and a possible re-bleed,but apart from that it went great!
Will fettle the timing and carbs to best performance,and get an extra pair of thermals to wear this week,as its FFFFFFFing!! cold!!

Link to pics while on test drive.

http://s107.photobucket.com/user/PILKIE/library/1954MGTF1500%20seat%20and%20interior%20retrim/1954%20MGTF1500%20finished%20pics

Edited by PILKIE

Fitted a new MGA dual brake/clutch mater cylinder,and rebled the brakes,now it stops!

No more bits to buy,a couple of minor adjustments as things settle down.

Now its up for sale!

Photoshoot and video links.

http://s107.photobucket.com/user/PILKIE/library/1954MGTF1500%20seat%20and%20interior%20retrim/1954%20MGTF1500%20Photoshoot%20and%20videos?sort=3&page=1

First drive video.

th_Video0002.jpg

Edited by PILKIE

That is one beautiful little car Pilkie. You should really be proud of the result

Cheers

Alan