Sign in to follow this  
PILKIE

Pilkie's New Project

Ah I see!! :rolleyes:

Its not the done thing to share with others ones good fortune with a good deal or 2! <_<

Mums the word! ;) Wont mention cost any more as it obviously offends!!

Just goes to show though you dont always have to pay through the nose at motorfactors or other dealers if you are prepared to haggle hard and/or hunt out a bargain!

So far,1 fellow forum member and 3 from other forums have happily benefited,"Got paint" from this info! :)

Sadly,as I wont be BRAGGING anymore I will no longer be able to pass on contact details to anyone interested in buying a bargain,,,, :( ,,,coz they wont know about it! <_<

Hi Pilkie,

keep on bragging - others may benefit.

Roger

Seconded...... ;)

Tony

So far so good,got it set up,and did a test bit!! :)
Fitted up my old hoover to the outlet,used a plumbing grommet that fitted tight in the outlet and the hoover nozzle fits tight into that,and no gaffer tape,,,and I can turn on/off via my foot! :)
Got extra protection just incase,but had to take the track suit off as it was a bit warm! :lol:
[click on pics]
Neighbour spotted me getting stuck in!! :)
th_IMAG1643.jpg

Heres a pic of before "R",hand cleaned "M" and sand blasted "L" to compare!!.

th_IMAG1642-1.jpg

A few more bits to do before the painting can begin!

th_IMAG1605.jpg

And not to be a jubilee party pooper had my own little street party at lunchtime,and casper wanted to join in!! :lol:
Many thanks Ma'am for giving me and millions more the Tuesday off without pay!! :angry::rolleyes:
th_IMAG1644.jpg
th_IMAG1645.jpg

Edited by PILKIE

Its coming along bit by bit!

It is very hungry for air,so have to let the compressor cool down after a 15min session!!

Threads were well protected before cleaning! ;)

th_IMAG1648.jpg th_IMAG1647.jpg th_IMAG1646.jpg

Drums,springs and pans + a few little brackets left to do!!

Edited by PILKIE

Almost all the bits now done,just a few left to do!

th_IMAG1650.jpg th_IMAG1651.jpg th_IMAG1655.jpg

th_IMAG1656.jpg th_IMAG1660.jpg th_IMAG1663.jpg]

th_IMAG1652.jpg th_IMAG1653.jpg th_IMAG1654.jpg

The cleaning and painting of its bits mostly done,so the rebuilding can begin!

Will get pics added to album as jobs are done,,,the last pics are latest jobs done.

Reassembly album.

http://s107.photobucket.com/albums/m296/PILKIE/1954%20MG%20TF1500%20The%20rebuild%20starts/?albumview=slideshow

The first milestone has arrived today! :D

Its now a rolling steering chassis with all susp fitted.

Still need to fit up the brakes,but with it like this,I can trial fit the engine/box,and roll it out to work on the bodytub woodwork suspended in the loft! :)

IMAG1716.jpg

IMAG1717.jpg

IMAG1708.jpg

Another hard won battle between me and his family was to get my neighbour Pete to buy the car he has wanted for years!!

Selling the 1999,30k miles Honda Civic he inherited and the daily "54" VW Polo,he can now waft about in his retirement!

A really nice 1 owner VERY low miles, "53" Jag X-type 2.0d!

IMAG1701.jpg

Zircon blue, good colour. But I would say that :rolleyes:

Update for June-Aug 2012

Finally,all the sections of wood have been fettled,filed,fitted,drilled,screwed,removed,trimmed, sanded,refitted,removed,treated and then final fitting!! :|

Surprising how long it takes to get it all fitting as close to as it should be,or as it was.

I still have to round over the metal edges and panel pin them down,"need to get some s/s or treated ones",but the edges of the wood make this easy,and give a nice edge finish as well.

Can nitromorse the rest of the old paint off the tub and knock back to bare metal tomorrow,and give the doors a trial fit,just to make sure they do still fit,once the tub is secured to the chassis.

th_IMAG1795.jpg th_IMAG1796.jpg th_IMAG1797.jpg

th_IMAG1798.jpg th_IMAG1799.jpg th_IMAG1801.jpg

th_IMAG1800.jpg th_IMAG1802.jpg th_IMAG1803.jpg

Edited by PILKIE

Hi all.

Spent most of the last few weeks after sorting all the woodwork, fettling,stripping the panels,dressing out minor dints,and sorting a major kink in one of the doors,inbetween car shows,and if I wasnt too knackered after work!

I booked the car in with my painter for delivery to the workshop today,"15/9/12", so at least I had a target to meet.

Thankfully I managed to do all that I could do,the rest is up to Dean to do his magic on.

While using a flapper disc to strip the doors,it disintegrated,taking a chunk out of my thumb,and a flying section managed to find the TR6's rear,o/s wing and take a chunk out of that as well!! :cry:

Fortunately,as part of the MG deal,Dean is repainting the bootlid of the TR,so for a bit extra drinkies,I will get him to do the damaged wing,d/s door shut tread,and rear deck that also need minor repairs.

After searching the info on the original colour,"Autumn red",and colour codes,I have chosen the red req.

This pic is as close to original as you can get today!!

Mine will be painted the same red."RD06" with probably the same colour trim,but no wire wheels.

autumnredmgtf.jpg

Some pics of the MG,but all are on the link in my signature.

Luckilly it fitted perfectly in my mates tranny van!!

th_IMAG1858.jpg th_IMAG1860.jpg th_IMAG1855.jpg

th_IMAG1866.jpg th_IMAG1861.jpg th_IMAG1862.jpg

th_IMAG1867.jpg th_IMAG1869.jpg th_IMAG1871.jpg

Tomorrow I will be trial fitting the donor 1970's MG Midget 1500tc recon engine and box into the chassis,and working out how to retrofit a hydraulic system for the clutch,if I cant adapt the rod setup!!!

Edited by PILKIE

Just a few pics as an update,Lots more in the photoalbum.

Engine and box cleaned and painted,+ new clutch,hydraulic clutch conversion all but done,reverted back to a dynamo,and custom engine mount made.

IMAG1986.jpg

IMAG1987.jpg

Bodytub and panels,all 24 sections back from the paintshop and looking,GERT LUSH!! "Thats westcountry for MMMM!!!! LUVERLY!!!!"

New original style woven wiring loom and bulkhead electric items ordered.

IMAG1965.jpg

IMAG1995.jpg

While at Stoneleigh last weekend,I noticed on the TR-Register stand they had a set of 155/15 tyres from TS2 for sale,that havent done many miles.

As they are the correct size for the MG a good deal was done!

Edited by PILKIE

Hi Pink.

No,but I did all the stripdown,refurbished the chassis and bare metalled the tub.

The same person who did my TR6 and Rover P6 stripped and prepped the rest of the panels and did the final paint,and it was well worth it!!

Ive got a few bits to do and things to buy before I start body re-assembly.

You're doing a cracking job, as ever, when do you get time to sleep!

The paintwork looks the biz.

UPDATE!
Rear wings and steps on,body bolted down,tank in place,brakes all done,wiring loom in place,prop spacers made and ready to fit,carbs and manifold fitted.Hydraulic clutch conversion done.

th_IMAG2068.jpgth_IMAG2065.jpgth_IMAG2085.jpg

th_IMAG2077.jpgth_IMAG2082.jpgth_IMAG2118.jpg

th_IMAG2090.jpgth_IMAG2033.jpgth_IMAG2036.jpg

Weathers been nice,but a bit cold at times!

IMAG2087.jpg

Edited by PILKIE

Seems pic posting from an outside host isnt liked by the forums settings???

Edited by PILKIE

Fuel tank,rear lights fitted,new electrics fitted and now wired up,engine bay panels,front wings on.

Today will be spent fettling the fit of the front end!!

IMAG2124.jpg

IMAG2130-1.jpg

IMAG2132.jpg

IMAG2147.jpg

IMAG2146.jpg

IMAG2160.jpg

Edited by PILKIE