Sign in to follow this  
PILKIE

Pilkie's New Project

The latest update is that both the cars I was interested in to recomission have been sold.

BUT!!! :D:wub::D

Fate took a hand when in the corner of his barn stash I spotted a 1954 MG TF1500!! :):)

Its a California black plate import,brought back in 1996 and dry barn stored ever since.

I had previously thought it was another kit car,but no its the real thing,the LHD gave it away!!

Probably the most gorgeous looking MG ever made,and one of those cars thats been on my lust after list for quite a while!

It had spent almost all its life in Texas and most of the paint has been baked off,but WOW!! :blink::o it is SUPER SOLID!!!! all over!

Body and chassis are undamaged just the usual dusty surface rust,interior trim is a bit crispy, but seats are pretty good,and somewone,"a previous UK owner" nicked the engine for his 1949 TC.

I didnt think twice and last weekend a deal was done!

It is only about 3 miles away,and its coming home tomorrow morning!

It will need a s/h or new engine,"Will fit a MGB eng/box if I can't find an original",total repaint,full interior retrim,new chrome,and a brake,susp and elec overhaul,etc,etc.

This should keep me busy for a while!!!

Heres a pic of it in its current resting place,a pic of a nice one,and a link to the pics ive taken so far!

http://s107.photobucket.com/albums/m296/PILKIE/1954%20MG%20TF%201500/?albumview=slideshow

IMAG1281.jpgbluemgtf1500.jpg

Edited by PILKIE

Was the Stag a "no go" then, Dave?

What is the red Italian looking car on the right of your photo?

Regards

Peter

Hi Peter.

Stag got sold,as did the Morris 1000 conv,but turned out that was a roof chop fake!

Actually pretty pleased I didnt buy them,considering what I have now got! :D

The Ferrari looking car to the right is one of the very good Magnum Ferrari type kits with an Lancia engine.

Edited by PILKIE

Guest ntc

Dave

Good luck with it looks nice, but the bloody link is full of pop up's !!!!!!!!! I no go back there :o:(

Neil??

Do you mean pop ups you have to cancel off the screen or just adverts on the site?

I get nothing except the pic when I go on there and click on a pic to display!!

Edited by PILKIE

It will need a s/h or new engine,"Will fit a MGB eng/box if I can't find an original",total repaint,full interior retrim,new chrome,and a brake,susp and elec overhaul,etc,etc.

This should keep me busy for a while!!!

Heres a pic of it in its current resting place,a pic of a nice one,and a link to the pics ive taken so far!

Pilkie

I doubt an MGB Engine would fit without a bit of hacking. The B engine is a BMC B (Austin derived) series where the xpag/Xpeg was a moris baby. You should be able to find a 1250 box and motor, even if you have to import one from the states where a lot of these cars have been converted to Volvo power. There is not a lot of difference in HP and Torque between the 1250 (xpag) and 1500 (Xpeg) motors. 57bhp for the 1250 and 63bhp for the 1500. If a genuine 1500 your car should have a chassis number greater than 6501. Given the rapidly rising vale of these cars I would try to keep it as close as possible to stock.

Cheers

Alan

Hi Alan.

An MGBGT eng/std box is not difficult to do,may even do a late midget 1500.

An original XPEG would be great,,if can find one,or a XPAG but really would want to hear it running,and want to have all the ancillaries as well,inc a rad.!

Wolesley 4 /44 if I can get one.

Its chassis no is TF6985

Guest ntc

Good luck with it Dave, let me know when I can see it without the !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by ntc

Wish you well with the resto Dave. The car is in great condition for it's year, I love the curves of the wings..it gives it lots of character. Do you intend to convert to RHD?. I also agree with Alan about keeping it original.

Cheers

Tony

I finally got the body and chassis seperated this weekend. :D

Didnt come across any more than 6 stubborn fixings,all chopped with the cutting disc. :lol:

All the little tangs that hold brake pipes and loom in position are as solid as the day they were put on,and the brake pipes look like new under the minor dirt layer!

The old material,woven type loom covering is still in good nick,but as the wiring is 58 yrs old a new full loom will be fitted.

Now to strip,clean,rebush,repaint and refurb if req all the parts attached to the rolling chassis.

Once the chassis is sorted then I can drop in a complete running donor engine and box,as its easier to do any adaptations when the chassis is as it is.

So I am on the lookout for a 1970's MG Midget with a 1500tc eng/box thats a good runner but rusty to buy and break.

Or a Triumph spit/dolly with a 1300 or 1500tc!!

pics....

th_IMAG1521.jpg th_IMAG1525.jpg th_IMAG1524.jpg

th_IMAG1527.jpg th_IMAG1530.jpg th_IMAG1534.jpg

Ramp and garage is just as I had intended the design set up to work!!

IMAG1540.jpg

Just finished downloading this little video!!

th_MVI_1673.jpg

Edited by PILKIE

More pics on the stripdown slideshow.

Have removed rear susp and axle,front susp,and all pipes and other bolted on bits from chassis."NOWT SEIZED UP!! :D

Chassis has cleaned up great,all that was protecting it from new was a coat of etch prime and about a 1mm coat of underseal!!

Its all scraping off dead easy as its been baked in the US sun to the point of dropping off!!

Looks like some areas were devoid of underseal from new,and its still rock solid.

Going to give it a good spray coating of black rustbuster epoxymastic,coat of stoneguard and then depending on how it looks,poss a coat of satin or gloss to finish it off,followed by a real good dose of waxoil.

Hi all.

Ive just done a deal on a recon 1500TC MG Midget eng and box complete with carbs etc etc, ready to drop in and connect,sounds sweet,and got the speedo+cable/rev/temp thrown in as well,so I can make up a temporary dash.

Saves buying a complete car to break!!

I hope to collect this sat morn.

Just gotta hope for some better weather so I can get the chassis and bits painted,then start putting things back together!

Hi all.
Well I have almost finished the laborious task of cleaning all the chassis and susp components ready for painting.
To that end I have almost bought a sand blast cabinet with ample grit! :)
A bit late now maybe but well worth having if I win it at the right price,and,I can pick it up,, :) but seller wont do a deal! :)
Fitted on a taut wire line so I can swish it back just like a curtain and tie it up out of the way!
Effectively doubling the undercover work area! :D
Click on piccys.
th_IMAG1617.jpgth_IMAG1620.jpg

th_IMAG1622.jpgth_IMAG1618.jpg

Edited by PILKIE

Hi all.

Well I couldnt wait to get the rest of the parts cleaned,so ive painted the chassis! :)
Hung it up on 2 good straps so it could be spun round in the garage,and gave it 6 large cans of stoneguard overpaintable.
The finish is excellent satin black,not sure if I will overspray with gloss or not yet?
It will need a good week to go off before I decide!!
Anyway I want to get that sand blaster and have a play on the smaller parts!! :lol:
Clicky piccys.
th_IMAG1629.jpgth_IMAG1625.jpgth_IMAG1633.jpg
th_IMAG1631.jpgth_IMAG1627.jpgth_IMAG1628.jpg

th_IMAG1628.jpg

Edited by PILKIE

Hi all.

Been looking for a while to buy one of these,but either too far away or too expensive s/h! :(

Finally, :) I spotted this one,moved fast,and got to do a deal, ;) with a guy who works at a well know west country safari park!!

He bought it about 3 yrs ago and has only done the tinware on a VW engine!! :)

Then put in the corner of the workshop and not used since,incl 50kilo of grit!!

Popped in today at lunchtime for a looksee and haggle,list new back then was about £399.

A great deal done for £130!

BARGAIN!! :D

Then had lunch overlooking the lions,buffalo,giraffe etc!

Put it in the works van and dropped off at home after work!!

Also managed a deal elsewhere on 48 cans of Simoniz 500ml spray paint!! :)

Got black gloss and black satin,5 wheel silver and red oxide,12 of each for a grand total of £105,and collected by a workmate!!

Parts arrived for the MG as well,2 new rear leaf springs + bushings and main body wood frame,3 sections",£££ouch!! but got 5% off as I will be spending lots more with them!!

So I am all ready for a busy hol next week!!

OH YES!! Almost forgot,the new toy!!

Had to jiggle things about to make it fit!

YER TIZ!! click on pics!

th_IMAG1640.jpg th_IMAG1639.jpg th_IMAG1641.jpg

You're worse than a Yorkshireman (or should that be a Scotsman!) :D

Cheers

Ian