Photo wanted side view rolling chassis

I've searched Giggle images and several TR books for photo of TR6 rolling chassis with engine, gearbox and diff in place, taken from the side at roughly hub height and halfway along the wheel base.

i.e. a photo equivalent of a side elevation suitable for measuring rough dimensions and gearbox- prop shaft- diff angles in particular.

Anyone?

cheers

Peter

Peter

I have some with a engine/box in place to set gearbox mounts but not rolling any use?

Neil.

Yes please, that would be useful. I've got one off here showing diff in chassis so I can combine the two to work out prop shaft angle in vertical plane.

regards,

Peter

Peter,

It's a while since I looked, but there may be some suitable pictures here.....http://s91.photobuck...!cpZZ1QQtppZZ36

Simon

Simon,

Many thanks for responding. There was no suitable image, but the fit of the V8 looked really neat.

Peter

OK, it's probably a silly question but I'll ask it anyway. Why do you want to measure gear box - prop shaft - diff angles? They just are what they are when the box and diff are fixed on standard mounts.

Dave McD

Dave,

For a non-standard TR6, along these lines:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Vanwall_VW7_Monaco.jpg

The seating postion needs to be as low as possible, and from measurements I made at Manchester Classic Show show yesterday ( thanks Bob!) the engine needs to be moved back. Prop shafts dont like to run at large angles and will determine whether the idea is feasible.

Peter

Peter

I was at TRGB a couple of weeks ago & they had a completed TR5 rolling chassis, maybe they would help you?

Cheers

Mike B)

Thanks Mike.

TRBitz's running chassis was on show at the Manchester Classic Show so I have now got all the measurmenets I need - for the time being.

Next job is to graph out the angles and get expert advice on the prop shaft - will it run at the angles needed without vibration.The gearbox and diff flanges will no longer be parallel so a shaft with cv joints may be needed. But If that requires a centre support bearing then there wont be space enough under the seat. Fingers crossed...

To keep within the bonnet line the engine needs to be moved back and dropped a bit. That means the o/d gearbox wont fit, and I shall be looking into shorter bellhousings and a 5-speed gearbox.

Peter

Peter

So let me get this right. You're intending to build a replica Vanwall single seater on a TR6 chassis?

Is that a standard full width chassis or will it be modified to be narrower?

Presumably you have access to a replica body?

Will the seat be central over the proposhaft with one leg each side? Very brave.

As you say, the engine will have to be further back or lower to fit under the body.

In that respect the original Vanwall of the period depicted in your photo link, the 1957 special short nose Monaco version, had an advantage. The engine was a 4 cylinder so shorter. The 5 speed gearbox was under the seat in unit with the diff and inbord disc brakes. That was why the Vanwall was so high compared to other contemporary cars.

Good luck with it all and just 2 more questions.

Why?

What do you intend to do with it when it's finished?

Dave McD

Dave,

Scale sketch plans* show the Vanwall had a wide body sufficient to cover (just) the unmolested TR6 chassis outer rails ( the Vanwall driver had a 10 gallon fuel tank either side, roughly where TR sills are). The chassis corner near the outer mountings for the trailing arms will protrude slightly, but no matter.

Wheelbases are within a couple of inches. So the general fit is good, and can be adjusted to suit the TR. The rear chassis legs will protrude a bit beyond the tail and I gather cannot be shortened if we are to avoid IVA regs. So it wont be identical,but as close as practical.

The Vanwall seat was 13 inches off the ground and as you say the driver sat over the gearbox. I'm hoping to sit a bit lower to keep the head below roll-hoop apex built into the tail.

Driver will sit with a leg either side of the gearbox, which will have to be non-ovedrive type to allow about 35cm of rearward relocation of engine.

Body will be made by a boat-builder friend from aicraft ply/ kevlar/epoxy/ UV-activated sheet moulding compound (=modern fibreglass) using the 'cold-moulding' technique for building boats. To a boat builder the Vanwall body resembles a capsized dinghy!

The chassis will be stiffened - hopefully better than standard - with a welded steel spaceframe.

The body will be built separately from the chassis then the two mated together with bracketry that will allow most panels to be removeable, plus hinged bonnet and tail.

Engine will of course be supercharged - Eaton M62. Cant see easy way to use the PI with the blower -pity as the Vanwall was injected.

Intended use is to build it road-legal with full MoT (TR7 headlights). The big tail will hold spare -wheel, tent etc and the cockpit sides will be reasonably capacious. So OK for one person for one weekend away. And for track days.

Why? Its the challenge of learning and building a 'special' . It embraces almost all aspects of auto engineering, and not being an engineer its all new knowledge to me- thats where the fun lies.

All I need now is a rusted-out TR6 beyond economic repair....

cheers

Peter

* http://www.the-blueprints.com/blueprints/cars/variouscars/19702/view/vanwall_gp/

Edited by Peter Cobbold