...but white is the new "In colour" of course!!

You are quite Correct 'White' IS the new 'IN' colour for new cars today!

Like you I have a '69 CP car in White so...'we've' come back into fashion! :D

However, I note your car has White showing through the Grill! UCK! :o And even worse you've painted Black stuff over your Windscreen Surround!!!! Double UCK! :o:o

Edited by Denis

'Is Colour Everything' ?

According to Car Dealers YES it is!!! As most people have very little technical knowledge and only judge things by appearance.

'TRBeaver' makes a differant point...as he's thinking ahead of the sales appeal of his project. From a purest point of view, I would say retain the original factory colour, as the TR body is painted inside and out, and presumable the buyer would be interested in 'his' car as a Classic and originality is everything...and that means the Colour too! ;)

Between 1968-1971 I had a White TR4 and lusted after a RED TR6...but everywhere I looked they were always White ones!...So I bought a White one again albeit with Wire Wheels which adds detail to what all that White lacks!

To get the 'RED thing' out my system, I Retored a tatty old Blue Maserati and got it painted Italian Racing Red! And it sold like a Hot Cake! With the profit I bought a RED 4.2 EType Jag...So I've done RED and now 40 years on I'm delighted with my TR6 being White! Although my sons are disapointed that I sold the E Type in favour of keeping the TR! My reasoning (although dumb from the financial aspect) was that the TR was a more managable car to keep, in terms of self maintainance and the garage space it took up...Did you realise a TR is only the width of the original Mini? :o

Edited by Denis

I would never use 2pack as a finish ever again ta

Why? I much prefer it to water based As it is easier to blend in repairs and much tougher than celly.

I've gone to about half a dozen local painters who all said no to 2 pack so maybe I'm in the wrong part of the UK.

The car dealer point re colour may apply if you are buying a 2 year old Mondeo but classic car buyers have less choice and realise the long term cost of buying a car that may be a nice colour but a pile of rust underneath.

Red, Italian national racing colour.

It's a TR. As in BRG.

Not an Alfa Romeo, Ferrari, Lancia, or Maserati. Nor, heaven forbid, a Fiat.

Nor yet an Italian military vehicle, one forward gear and four reverse. Overdrive reverse reserved for brass hats.

Itsa red, itsa Italian, itsa rubbish.

Cheers,

Alec

We're now really getting into areas of personal taste.

I've never understood the idea of a car having to be BRG because it's British.

Yes if it was a British race car such as a C type but a TR6.

If you just want to follow the crowd then it should be bright red but if all TR6s were red, the world would be a dull place.

Something else I don't like usually are colours that were never offered.

It's a TR. As in BRG.

Alec posted at 12:48 AM - more than likely after ten pints down in the pub and talking cobblers..................... :D :D

..................If you just want to follow the crowd then it should be bright red but if all TR6s were red, the world would be a dull place..........

Yet more cobblers, and a contradiction in terms :D :D ...........depends on whether it left the factory red, or has received a colour change; I'm guilty on both counts and on my fourth red TR! B)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=td0YlKnv6Jg

Cheers

Andrew

Edited by Andrew Smith
not red its an old soldiers Colour

common as muck

reminds me of grammars lips when i was a youngen

fade in the sun

and they never look polished

ask Andrew

Never look polished? :D:D

As for an 'old soldier's colour', that because it doesn't show the blood during or after a battle.................

Cheers

Andrew

• 9 years later...

I could be wrong but info below from Rimmers paint chart shows that Damson was a colour for cars between 1969 and 1972. Magenta for cars between 1973 and 1974, a real 70’s colour. (Errors and omissions accepted to codes etc!).

Maybe Derek, saffrontr can clarify?

Personally am a big fan of originality and Magenta cars! 

Triumph TR6

Year Model Colour Colour Code(s)

1967-76 Triumph TR6 Black 11

1969-71 Triumph TR6 Signal Red 32

1972-76 Triumph TR6 Pimento Red 72

1973-75 Triumph TR6 Carmine 82

1969-72 Triumph TR6 Damson 17

1971-73 Triumph TR6 Sienna 23

1974-75 Triumph TR6 Maple 83

1976 Triumph TR6 Russet Brown 93

1967-72 Triumph TR6 Jasmine 34

1967-72 Triumph TR6 Saffron 54

1973-75 Triumph TR6 Mimosa 64

1975-76 Triumph TR6 Topaz 84

1976 Triumph TR6 Inca 94

1967-70 Triumph TR6 Conifer Green 25

1969-71 Triumph TR6 Laurel 55

1972-73 Triumph TR6 Emerald 65

1975-76 Triumph TR6 British Racing Green 75

1975-76 Triumph TR6 Java Green 85

1967-71 Triumph TR6 Royal Blue 56

1971-74 Triumph TR6 Sapphire Blue 96

1973-74 Triumph TR6 Mallard Blue 106 

1973-75 Triumph TR6 French Blue 126

1975-76 Triumph TR6 Delft Blue 136

1976 Triumph TR6 Tahiti Blue 146

1967 Triumph TR6 Wedgewood Blue 26

1967 Triumph TR6 Valencia Blue 66

1973-74 Triumph TR6 Magenta 92

1967-76 Triumph TR6 White 19

Steve

It's such a Marmite thing, right?

When I was looking for a TR6 I wanted BRG as I've had red cars and they don't do well long tern w the UV downunder.  But I ended up w a Mimosa yellow one and... I hate yellow cars, but for some reason I've grown to like this yellow...????  And I mean, really like it- I couldn't imagine having any other colour on a TR6 now.

I do personally think the blues suit the TR6 and the 70s colours as well (including the browns!) but the issue will be that: if you're looking at resale, most people come in looking for a TR6 new are thinking red or BRG.  I reckon; to sell, paint a car in period colour red/BRG  and black interior (less disagreements) but if you're keeping it whatever you like, it's yours (even if I hate it).  Or: it's original code-it's v hard to argue with that!

I'd say stick with Damson, but if you decide red is more sellable, then consider Pimento Red, one of the less common shades, often inviting comment(usually positive although some people do not like the hint of orange in certain lights.  As has been said above however, it's all in the eyes of whoever has the money.  It's your car!

My 76 car sold new in the US and now living in SW France still features it’s original carmine red code 82 ( Damson in all but name) I think it really suits the car 

16BC11F1-D0B9-46D2-8B48-BAD4028F5033.jpeg

Edited by Kiwifrog
Info
17 hours ago, Kiwifrog said:

My 76 car sold new in the US and now living in SW France still features it’s original carmine red code 82 ( Damson in all but name) I think it really suits the car 

16BC11F1-D0B9-46D2-8B48-BAD4028F5033.jpeg

Lost its huge rubber overriders and hood stripe on the way then Alan, looks good.

Stuart.

20 hours ago, stuart said:

Lost its huge rubber overriders and hood stripe on the way then Alan, looks good.

Stuart.

They went in the same bin as the anti pollution gear and the shavings from planning the head to match the UK compression ratio :D

On 3/5/2012 at 7:02 PM, elclem1 said:

Hi guys some interesting thoughts here, perhaps I should expand a bit on this. If I were keeping the car I myself would keep it Damson. That's how it came off the factory floor - original paint colour if not original paint, but.... As i intend to sell the car would I have a better chance if the colour was a nice bright signal red and therefore drawing more interest or leave it as Damson and hope that someone really likes that colour?? The finish of the car is the same standard for both brand new damson or brand new signal red?? or is there an 'in' colour that people are after, perhaps someone out there who is looking for a car can pass on their thoughts. As I explained in the first thread I don't do this for a living it's a hobby that I enjoy very, very much, I like to rebuild rebuild them, my wife likes to drive them! It keeps the grey cells happy!

How good was BL's quality of paint work?? Mine started to peel off in some areas after 6months from new? Over the years of ownership most of it has been resprayed and has been a fight against paint peel! It is still the original colour and I am glad I kept it that way. For me quality of metal work would come before colour.

Bruce.

Bruce,  I've recently viewed the Standard Triumph Board meeting papers and General Managers reports held at Gaydon and in the papers from March 1969 onwards to the beginning of 1971 there was a note in most papers about the poor paint finish of TR6 bodies recieved from the Liverpool factory such as "paint below standard", "poor standard of paint finish", unsatisfactory standard of paint", "low standard of paint finish"  and it was only in the papers of March 1971 that the first positive comment was minuted which said that the paint finish was "generally satisfactory". There is no detail on what the low standard of paint finish was but it appears that a lot of rework was required at Canley such that production of completed cars was being badly affected. From 1971 on there did seem to be an increased focus on quality by making sure that quality inspections were more rigorous at Liverpool before bodies were sent on to Canley. 

Derek

2 hours ago, saffrontr said:

Bruce,  I've recently viewed the Standard Triumph Board meeting papers and General Managers reports held at Gaydon and in the papers from March 1969 onwards to the beginning of 1971 there was a note in most papers about the poor paint finish of TR6 bodies recieved from the Liverpool factory such as "paint below standard", "poor standard of paint finish", unsatisfactory standard of paint", "low standard of paint finish"  and it was only in the papers of March 1971 that the first positive comment was minuted which said that the paint finish was "generally satisfactory". There is no detail on what the low standard of paint finish was but it appears that a lot of rework was required at Canley such that production of completed cars was being badly affected. From 1971 on there did seem to be an increased focus on quality by making sure that quality inspections were more rigorous at Liverpool before bodies were sent on to Canley. 

Derek

Same time period that Ford were having trouble with the paint on MK2 Cortinas, who remembers seeing them on the motorway with sheets of paint peeling off as they went along.

Stuart.