TR6 Bonnet Alignment

Hi, I'm a newbie here, having bought my 1972 TR6 last Summer. My problem is that the bonnet sits proud of the wings by as much as 10mm although this mainly on the offside, the nearside being less pronounced. This is all happening at the windscreen end of the bonnet (it's fine at the hinge end).

I've experimented by removing the bonnet catch and spring mechanism and the improvement is significant which suggests to me that it is the spring of the catch forcing the bonnet upwards. I know the obvious solution is to tighten up the catch (retaining pin) so that the bonnet is held much lower but this compresses the spring so much that a huge amount of force is then required to release the bonnet (fortunately I have an emergency release fitted under the nearside wing).

I was wondering whether grinding say 25% off the spring would reduce the tension and allow the bonnet to be held lower down thereby bringing it more into alignment with the wings.

I have looked through the forums but couldn't find this as a topic, but apologies if this is an old chestnut.

I'd be very grateful for any advice.

Lee

Have you tried screwing the rubber buffers in a bit. Located at the rear of each side drip rail just in front of the scuttle.

Stuart.

Hi Lee

Firstly welcome to the forum. :rolleyes:

Are the rubbers that the bonnet locates on set as low as possible? Just might be worth checking.

You could try reducing the spring length as you say by tightening up progressivley to see if you get the desired result?

I am sure others will offer some other suggestions.

Keep us updated with your progress.

Cheers

Mike B)