I have installed a Luminition optronic. I kept the Lucas (gold) sports coil. I noticed that the coil is running very hot (and I mean really hot and the coil is not longer sitting at the engine). I remember I once read that a Luminition ignition should not be combined with a sports coil, although, and that is the reason why I kept it, a mechanic told me that there is no reason why it should not be.

Any advise/comment is welcome.

When I was passing through Pennsylvania. in June, I stopped at Roadster Factory and a chap came in with a burned out Lucas Sports Coil. He had the same results with 4 Lucas Sports Coils in a row over a 10 year period. After about 2000 miles, each would overheat and he had to sit it out at the side of the road to let it cool down before he could continue. Then about 1000 miles later, it happened again. Then 500 miles later. Then 300 miles later. Then 150 miles later. And so on. Then it wouldn't work at all so he bought another new one.

And it was the same story for the new coil, then the next 2 coils after that.

He was running with the usual points and condenser.

I still have and use the original coil that came with my TR3A new in 1958. It is stamped and dated "LUCAS 7/57" on the bottom.

I put this question on the BBS Triumphs Forum and got no replies or suggestions.  But as far as I know, the only thing that will make a coil hot is if the ignition is left on and the points contacts are closed.  But that usually happens only when the car is stopped and not running.

Maybe it's the coil and not the electronics, but ask the manufacturer directly.  Maybe he knows the answer.

Don Elliott, Original Owner, 1958 TR3A, Montreal, Canada

If a coil gets hotter after shorter times running, I suppose more and more of the isolation of the low tension wire is melting, wich causes sort of short circuits between the coils and then more and more current gets through the coil (less resistance). Lumenition is selling a coil with their name on it, for their high performance electronic ignition, but it's almost sure a standard Lucas coil will be ok.

With a multi-meter, you can measure the resistance of the primary and then the secondary windings inside a new Lucas Coil.  Then you can do likewise for the suspect coil.  This will give the answer as to whether you have shorted windings in the older coil by the difference of the ohms you record.

Don Elliott, 1958 TR3A, Montreal, Canada