Hello all,

I'm a fairly new TR3A owner, having bought a rolling restoration last summer. :D

The car's running roughly at low revs so I've replaced the points/condenser etc., when setting the points gap I noticed that the heel of the cam only just breaks the points at the limit of the adjustment. I can't get the cam follower on the points set close enough to the cam due to the screw that sets the gap distance. I've not explained that very well! I checked on the old set of points and it appears the same. My dwell meter is measuring 50 deg. I think I'm doing something wrong! I've noticed a bit of lateral play in the distributor shaft so I'll probably get the distributor (DM2P4) reconditioned anyway but any advice would be appreciated.

Regards

Kevin

Hello Kevin

Not sure why your points don't seem to adjust, you could try an electronic module type, http://www.simonbbc.com/electronic-ignition-kits/by-distributor-model/lucas-dm2-powerspark-electronic-ignition-kit I've no connection to the seller, just a customer, i bought one last year and it's only a 10 minute job to fit.

Steve

Thanks for the replies. My car is still positive earth, I could change to negative earth I guess, but is there any positive earth electronic systems that you folks could recommend?

many thanks Kevin

Thanks for the replies. My car is still positive earth, I could change to negative earth I guess, but is there any positive earth electronic systems that you folks could recommend?

many thanks Kevin

Check that simonbbc link above £29 for there electronic version.

Kevin

Buy one of the above by all means but many owners still have +ve earth, a dynamo and old fashioned points in the distributor etc etc and the car flys.

I believe that the movement of the adjustable point should be limited by the slot length under the locking screw head.

This is certainly the case with original components but maybe some reproduction points sets foul here before the required gap can be set, or some other dimensions are not up to spec. It maybe worth having a close look at what exactly is limiting the fixed point movement and getting hold of original set of points if relevant. Any thing more than this I suggest a call to the distibutor doctor Martin Jay

Distributor Doctor

1 Bovey Cottages, Waterrow

Wiveliscombe

TA4 2BA Phone 01398 361 678

could be beneficial.

I hope this is useful

Regards Gerry

Thanks for that Gerry, as you suggest it may be something like the slot in the fixed contact plate isn't right. I'll try a set of points from Martin Jay.

Regards

Kevin

It's so cheap to buy a new distributor with either points or electronic, if you can be bothered to change to negative earth, it's a no brainer. Old cars always need distributor attention.

£35 for a new distributor is a no brainer IMO. I've got one and it's a beaut.

http://www.simonbbc....5901668f18d864e

Edited by Ashley James

Having my distributor overhauled by Martin Jay was the single best improvment I made to the smooth running of my 3A.

The previous overhauler fitted the wrong springs and weights and I ran it for 15 years before Martin overhauled the unit and now it starts and runs just as well as my daily driver.

Thought I should report back after fitting a new set of points & rotor from the Distributor Doctor.

I was able to set the points gap to the recommended distance with no problem on the new set of points. It took me several goes fiddling with the distributor but I've got the car running much better now. Surprising how a small change of advance makes a difference to the pick-up and running.

Thanks for all the advice on electronic ignition, I assume the electronic 25d is a straight replacement for a DM2 except for the vacuum advance & polarity?

Apologies if this is old ground : )

Regards

Kevin

It's a later distributor and you only have to reverse the polarity if you opt for the electronic version. The points one is £35 and both have the vacuum advance. Basically you're fitting a TR4A distributor and it's better made than the original IMO. I've got one on my TR3A.

PerTronix do a positive earth version but Accuspark don't that's all.

Ash

Kevin

Glad you sorted your points issue.

Suggest that you may also be interested to look at the 123 Tune mapable distributor. This is switchable between positive and negative earth and allows RPM / Vacuum v Advance maps (2) to be loaded and tweaked from a lap top and switched on the go.

Not cheap - but quality rarely is.

Regards

Gerry