Best replacement battery for a TR6?

Looks like one plate is down on my six year old battery, so now is the time to replace it.

Any suggestions please?

I have never been a fan of the forward placement of the terminals with the 'Live' post so close to the retaining bar.

I would prefer to have a good battery as opposed to a cheap one.

Thanks

Terry

Hi Terry,

I replaced the battery on my TR6 with a HB072 from Halfords - http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_264187_langId_-1_categoryId_165762#tab1

It gives 510 amps startup, compared to the 250amps of the weedy version that was fitted previously, so the car now cranks over a lot quicker!

Cheers,

Matt

I agree the Halfords are a good replacement with a long warranty. I was a bit wary of the HCB072 as the terminals are in the front and its a bit of a tight fight into the tray. I opted for the HCB005 which has slightly less starting amps at 510, cranks over no problem and is a little smaller. The terminals are at the rear so might suit your application better TRTerry.

http://www.halfords....tegoryId_165762

On other tip - both of these batteries stand about 2" taller than the original - or the 450SA after market I had. If you have the stainless clamp, you may find the fixing rods too short. Halfords do a clamp, the rods require modification. They are of fairly poor quality though.

:huh::o:P

Edited by Steve in Dublin

Hi Terry,

I would also agree with the Halfords battery. The HB072 works well as does the newer HCB072.

THe forward posts shouldn't touch the clamp under normal use.

These batteries are apprx £100. If you get a Halfords 'trade card' they cost apprx £65 - excellent value.

The Halfords guarantee also works well - even if it is self imposed damage (but don't tell them)

Roger

Halfords are ok and easy, but just about everything they sell is available cheaper if you shop around. Euro Car Parts are doing a 15% discount at the moment and you can get an equivalent Bosch or Exide battery for much less (use promo code BATTERY15) e.g. Bosch S4 with 4 year guarantee for £63.

Thanks Guys,

But have you had your batteries installed for any length of time?

There does seem to be a reported problem with calcium batteries, in that they need a higher voltage charge (14.3 - 14.7 volts) from the alternator to become fully charged. Given the 4 year guarantee perhaps makes this concern a bit spurious.

The life of the battery will depend greatly on its 'overall quality of life but you should not complain too much if you have managed to get over 4 years out of it - they decline with age so you should read the signs before you're high n dry. I know it’s not part of this thread but do keep an eye on tyres as the compound degrades so even if you only do 100 miles per year it is still recommended to change them after 7 years!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys for all your help.

Here's what I choose and why.

I decided to buy a Bosch Silver Technology battery type Halfords ref HSB096 http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_734753_langId_-1_categoryId_165762. Bosch part number 577 400 078 if you choose to buy eleswhere.

It comes with a 5year guarantee and was a similar size to the Banner Uniball battery fitted before. Trade price £92.79, ( retail £126.99) which was close to the best internet price I found. Its dimensions are 19.0H x 17.5D x 27.8L all in cm, and fits a treat. CCA rated 780AH and 77AH discharge. Bosch claim an 18 month shelf life for this the silver technology, which suits overwintering although I always use a conditioner as a happy battery is a fully charged one.

Positive is to the RIGHT as you look at the battery with the terminals to the front. But as I said before I don't like the closeness of the terminals to the restraining bar, so have fitted this battery back to front, so the positive is now to the left for the correct position. I thought I might have to change the earthing lead position as it might have been a bit tight, but I found that it was fine when the battery was actually fitted. the power lead was long enough.

Halfords are local to me, and generally give good service. If over the 5 year guarantee the battery fails then it is simple and certain for me to return it as opposed to a postal? return .

I did not care for the other Halford's battery HCB075 calcium type, (or HSB075 silver type 600AH CCA, and 61AH discharge ) as I found out that it's output was lower than the Uniball, and sometimes my car just does not want to start! Some other suggested batteries had a height of 22cm which I judged to be too close to the bonnets's reinforcement channel. The battery tested at 12.75 volts on collection. Turned over the car and finally I was started, it's now on charge to get the volts up to maximum before a run out tomorrow.

My alternator is uprated so should be able to deal with any charging demands. Time will tell.

Cheers!

TRTerry

• 8 years later...
41 minutes ago, Graham stokes said:

Good Afternoon,

I need to replace the battery in my TR4A, the one that is currently in there is the HCB072, but i'm having difficulty finding a new battery of that speck.  Has this been discontinued does anyone know? If so is there a replacement for it.

Many Thanks

Graham

Loads out there https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1311.R1.TR2.TRC0.A0.H0.X072+battery.TRS0&_nkw=072+battery&_sacat=0

Stuart.

072 is a standard battery size and is widely available as HB which is straight lead-acid. HCB is the 'calcium' equivalent but they seem to be rather rare in that size.  

Calcium lead-acid batteries are really intended for newish cars with charging systems which are adjusted accordingly. An old -fashioned standard alternator or dynamo will not provide quite enough voltage to charge them fully.  (14.4 volts max versus a nominal 14.8v required for calcium). If your charging system is standard, a straightforward HB 072 is probably a better match and there are loads available as Stuart says. 

Edited by RobH
5 hours ago, RobH said:

072 is a standard battery size and is widely available as HB which is straight lead-acid. HCB is the 'calcium' equivalent but they seem to be rather rare in that size.  

Calcium lead-acid batteries are really intended for newish cars with charging systems which are adjusted accordingly. An old -fashioned standard alternator or dynamo will not provide quite enough voltage to charge them fully.  (14.4 volts max versus a nominal 14.8v required for calcium). If your charging system is standard, a straightforward HB 072 is probably a better match and there are loads available as Stuart says. 

+1 what Rob says about being wary of Calcium batteries, not ideally suitable for our cars. Its only a half volt but the battery will know!

Choosing a 'Lead Antimony' battery is a way to avoid this, a good supplier I can recommend is Tayna Batteries, very good customer service and product warranties of up to 5yrs.

https://www.tayna.co.uk/

Bob

Hi there. I have the Halfords battery HCB072. Had it over 3 years with no problems. Excellent starting power. If you fit the battery clamp correctly there is plenty of space between the terminals

I have no problem with calcium batteries and a Lucas alternator. I get them from our local automobile association:

https://www.racv.com.au/on-the-road/roadside-assistance/mobile-service/car-battery-replacement.html

The RACV deliver, test the charging system and fit the batteries for a very competitive cost.

For my usage pattern , the calcium batteries last a lot longer than their predecessors.

8 hours ago, Mike C said:

For my usage pattern , the calcium batteries last a lot longer than their predecessors.

8 hours ago, Peter keefe said:

Excellent starting power.

I understand your experience chaps but there are a couple things worth noting.

Starting power (CCA) is nothing to do with the calcium, it is down to the construction of the plates.  If you find batteries don't last long, that is because either they have poor construction or they are not being treated properly. A well made bog-standard lead-acid should last at least ten years with care - particularly under the light usage typical in a classic car. That means keeping them fully charged by use of a conditioner when not in frequent use.

You may have 'no trouble' with calcium batteries but neither may you be getting the full performance from them that you have paid extra for. Unless you use an external charger capable of the higher voltage required they have never actually been fully charged, because a standard Lucas ACR alternator just can't supply that.  Consequently you may be getting only 80% or so of their full capability.