poor cold start

my 1970 CP is reluctant to start from cold usually needing 3 or 4 turns minimum to get going with the usual build up to all 6 firing, i have recently fitted Lumenition ignition & new leads, & once started she runs well , cold start was poor before the conversion. I have checked the new plugs & strangely 1,2 &3 are white suggesting weak mixture, 4 & 5 are sooty black & 6 is perfect light brown . Any ideas ?

Check the choke is correctly set in the first place. Both at the MU and at the throttle. Do not use too much choke and get rid of it as soon the car will run without it. As PJM said give it sometime, say 30 seconds, to 'recharge' the fuel lines and then as a good friend of mine tipped me keep the accelerator peddle about 1/3rd down when cranking it.

As I said in another post recently, might need a good blow\clean out too. Go on a run and keep the revs +3000 and constant. They need to be driven.

Adrian

If you literally mean "3 or 4 turns" from cold, I wouldn't worry about it, not unusual in my experience. Sound advice above - allowing the pump 20/30 seconds or so to prime the system before crankling does help considerably. Mine needs 100% choke, a tickle of the throttle and then the choke 80% off immediately after starting and fully off a minute or so later.

Edited by badshead