Powder Blue modern paint formula required

I want to paint my 1962 TR4 its original Powder Blue. I have the ICI P030-8013 formula, the PPG12163 and the Spies Hecker formula 059362 however my spray painter has said that he can't match any of these old codes/formulations on his fancy modern system. He asks if I can I advise him of the "De Beer" brand paint formulation for this colour but I have not been able to find this. Can anyone help with a modern paint formulation or other advice?

If not, I will have to try and match the colour to a small original patch that I have on a sill end plate, but after 50 years this might not be all that exact.

Thanks in advance.

Gary

It's hard to achieve this 'original' colour. Below, a pic of my car, painted with PPG X0034 - i think. Opposite is Raymond's car. I don't know what the brand/formula his paintshop has used. I'm sure he can tell you that exactly. The pic was taken in front of my house, mid July 2011 on a very sunny day, around 11 AM with the sun behind the postion from where the pic was taken.

Bottomline is, that (imho) it's very hard to say what the 'original' colour must have been. If you consider a total respray, just go with the colour you like, if it's a partial respray, just have it matched.

Menno

(My car is the one with w/wheels)

Menno

EDIT: I'm sure you're aware of this: http://www.tr-regist.../powderblue.htm

P1090213.jpg

P1090212.jpg

P1090217.jpg

P1090215.jpg

P1090214.jpg

Edited by Menno van Rij

Hi Gary,

Hereby my reply on your question and reffering to Menno's explanation about his Powder Blue codes.

My brand of paint which has been used is DuPont code 83738. Or so I've been told as an alternative, PPG15903.

Attached some pictures taken during different kind of light circumstances, Powder Blue is a sometimes a colour difficult to photograph.

Hope this will point you in the right direction !

Regards - Raymond

I think i have some in stock, will look tomorrow for you and get all the details. It will be a Lechler formula though

Tom

Re PPG 15903, I was probably the source of that info. Raymond sent me a sample of his paint which we had matched locally here in the US (paints and pigments may vary by region so beware). The sample matched very closely to a stock PPG color that was used by Ford. Rather than hand tint to get an exact match to Raymond's sample we opted to go with the stock color so that we had a better chance of matching it in the future. You can see comparing my battery box with Raymond's sample that PPG15903 is not far off.

DSC_0003.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Hi Raymond

Sorry to open up an old thread again but I've been trying to fund the Du Pont 83738 paint code that you mentioned and I can only find one link on the web at it suggests 83738 is a green? Could you check that code for me or let me know where you purchased it from. I've ordered a test can from Brighton Paints (cheers for the link MKTR) of thier powder blue as well but really like the shade on your car.

Cheers Archie

There was considerable batch variation in those days so any match you make is going to be somewhat arbitrary. I suggest you might wish to consider getting -if its possible - a sample of powder blue you think is right and then getting as close as possible to it in a modern manufacturer's named colour. That would mean in future you will always be able to get a perfect match to your car.

Mike

Thanks Mike yep Brighton Paints 8013 is on the way (which actually I think the original poster queried... so I'll see what that is like. Hoping Raymond may still jump in with where he got his paint from though as from the pictures that DuPont code 83738 is lovely. Brighton Paints can't mix to it though because if I understand correctly either that Du Pont code isn't a cellulose or another link I found on the mix content isn't cellulose.