FULCRUM PINS the continuing story

Hello Johannes, yes you are 100% right and I had got hold of the wrong idea. I have just spent the last 15 mins cutting out a section and as you say it is one lump of 7/8" (22mm?)rod with the ends turned. At least it's not hardened steel as it drills very easily. I am now going to try a 'starex' 7/8" cutter to see if I can remove the centre section of the pin. I have to remove the brackets on the near side to realign them where after the mild shunt they have been very crudely repaired. I have nothing to loose but I don't want to damage the turret as it is in a superb condition. Will keep you informed Brian as to sucess or failure but it will be after the weekend before I can back to it. Regards,  Nigel
Could not wait until after the weekend!!  The 7/8" way does not work. Found that a 27mm starrett bi metal hole cutter just grinds itself over the pin (why do I want to call them starex). I ground the welds off the rear brackets and removed them, cut the pin back until about 1/2" was left protruding where it went into the tower, just put in a 1/4" shaft into the cutter ( no centre drill as it was going over the tube and cutting the weld) and it worked! Done the same at the front but put 11" of 1/4" rod on to the cutter so it went through the steering idle bracket and out came the pin. It has left a hole 3mm larger (i.e 1.5mm clearance) around the new pin which is 0.5mm more than ideal but I have a friend who is a proffesional welder and I am sure he can take care of that. Will have to make up new  'support' brackets as they were virtually destroyed grinding them off but the tower has not been damaged in any way. If only I could learn how to get photo's on the page!!! Brian if I can get an Email address I could send direct. Regards Nigel (nigel@rollstone.fsnet.co.uk)

Very well done Nigel.  I'm sure it wasn't as easy as you make it sound. I can imagine lots of skinned knuckles and very blue language throughout the whole operation!

Les.