Intermittent Car Radio

I purchased a Retrosound radio recently and found that the radio was intermittent with the engine running.

It was fine with ignition on but without the engine running.

Retrosound technical department suggested that there might be a fault with the tuner so I got a replacement from the supplier. Having fitted the radio I have the same fault.

Both alternator and voltage stabiliser are relatively new.

I wondered if anyone else has experience of this product ??

The 12 volt supply on a car is quite dirty, even without the interference for the coil etc.

Go to your local car audio shop and get an in-line suppressor.

This will consist of a coil and a capacitor in a single lump. Input from the battery, output to radio.

Suppression may be needed on all the other bits.

Where ever sparks happen interference lurks. Coil, alternator (may be), dynamo (likely) wiper motor, heater motor (possibly)

Roger

My experience with a Schaub Lorenz radio (1972) for radio interference suppression is:

1. Put a capacitor of 1 micro farad on the coil.

2. Put the same capacitor on the dynamo (or alternator).

3. Have a (very) good earth connection on the antenna (applies also for the capacitors).

The radio, orginal 7 watt is ugraded with 2 times a TDA7240A 20 Watt Bridge amplifier (small chips build inside the radio housing), which allows radio listening with the top down at a speed of 100 km/hour.

Succes!

Jean-Marie

post-7345-0-65075300-1328095776_thumb.jpg

post-7345-0-14711000-1328095874_thumb.jpg

post-7345-0-46160300-1328095901_thumb.jpg

post-7345-0-65075300-1328095776_thumb.jpg

post-7345-0-14711000-1328095874_thumb.jpg

post-7345-0-46160300-1328095901_thumb.jpg

Check that your battery voltage is not too high when the engine is running. If it is you might be tripping the overvoltage protection in the radio - if it has protection that is.

I had the same problem, it worked fine until i started the engine. Put it through every test possible with the assistance of retrosound support .In the end we decided it was a dud and i sent it back to them in the U S A . They checked it out and couldnt find a problem but they did say they had a few with the same symptoms so they sent me an older production model and all is now working as it should with no suppresors or any add ons

Thanks everyone for your replies. Today I tried an in line supressor but it didn't resolve the problem. Retrosound were unable to shed light on the possible cause and have suggested that I return the product to the supplier which is what I will do. What a waste of time....anyway, must appreciate your suggestions and comments.

Neil Regent

I fitted a Kenwood a couple of days ago and this works fine.

During the last month I have fitted 2 RetroSound radios to a bog standard TR4 and both had the same intermittent sound when on tuner. Fine with an ipod.

I imagine others may also have similar difficulties with this product.