Dov1 spot/fog lamp.

Just received this reply from Jon:

Just got back from visit to France. Still haven’t got my connection to the Forum sorted. Could you do me a favour please.

Could you please post (in your own name) the following:

If anyone has a pair of these for sale, I know that Jon Marshall (TR4/4A Registrar) is looking some for his Dove

So I guess there's not much information about them.

I think you'll find these are Hella units, Optilux Dual or some such description.

Twin bulb foglamps, one pointing forward and one angled to the verge each side, so they are a matched pair, handed if you prefer.

Early 1960s innovation that gets reinvented periodically. Interesting idea, blitz enough light forward in fog or snow to bounce back and blind the driver, whilst at the same time blinding the oncoming driver also.

Possibly invented in the DDR as a means of reducing the numbers of bloated capitalists with more money than sense, head on collisions tend to have a high fatality rate.

On a more serious note, this sort of lamp originated as an endurance racing fitment for improving vision in rain and mist, then as a rally car fitment.

Cheers,

Alec

Hi All

Thinking about a little road safety and given the erratic behavour of todays traffic and a near miss, Im sure they dont see me at junctions sometimes! I have fitted LED Day Time Running Lights. They are made by Ring and they were from Halfords. I wired them up so they come on automaticly, I dont think they look to much out of place.

Regards

Mark

post-7672-0-02638100-1328128835_thumb.jpg

post-7672-0-02638100-1328128835_thumb.jpg

Hi Patrick,

These lamps as shown on this Autocar test model are yellow and white lenses handed to suit. Heavy lamps with chrome casing and ribbed fascia. I have these for my Dove and interestingly the front bumper brackets have a down stand welded plate to which they nicely connect. They are not Hella, lucas or Marchal.

As you may know they were fitted to the Le Mans cars due to the nose rising when doing 130mph down the Mulsanne :rolleyes: No myth intended ...except for the speed bit ..YutubeLe Mans 2008.

I have not fitted them as as you say they are a bit rare but was considering it for this year.

Regards. G.S.

• 11 months later...
I have fitted LED Day Time Running Lights. They are made by Ring and they were from Halfords. I wired them up so they come on automaticly, I dont think they look to much out of place.

Regards

Mark

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hi Mark

Neat idea, could solve your problem as dark colours tend to merge into background wash, where as lighter colours (LNK is Powder Blue) tend to stand out.

People 'playing' in modern cars with Sat navs, mobile phones, i-pods and MP3s barely have time to look at the road :unsure:

Mercedes used to publish a colour safety index and white was always the safest colour (in their scoring) with Dark Green, Dark Blue and Black scoring badly

Me, I just turn on the headlamps if I feel the light is fading, and if the guy still keeps coming, everything thing else, annnnd............."they're back in the room" :lol: :lol:

Edited by North London Mike

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-HOOD-HANDLE-FOG-LAMP-HEB-SPLIT-OVAL-BUG-BEETLE-KAFER-RIVAL-DOUBLE-FOGLIGHT-/370733602695#vi-content

Fill yer boots!

All you need to do is find another matching one and you're nearly original..........

Edited by Paul Harvey
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 years later...

Hello Steve and welcome......

What else have you got in this box of old car bits? .... Appears it may be a proper treasure trove, a working works twin cam ‘Sabrina’ engine would drop into my engine bay without too much bodging along the way?

Cheers, (in hope not expectation) Tony