Towing  a  Trailer

Guest DSOMERVILLE

I have the official french technical spec for a 3a, which is required to register Non EU imported cars in France, which a car imported from the USA becomes even if it was made in the EU.

On that it lists the wieghts as

Kerb wieght 955KG

Total train weight 1100KG

Which gives a weight of  145 KG for passangers and trailor, eg you can not legaly tow a trailor with the car. I am not sure of the rules in the UK but that kind of rules it out in France.

Dave - Check with Steve Redway or other members in the Bristol Area.  In 1991 at the Staffordshire TR Register International, there was a BRG TR2 or TR3A owner who trailerd a complete closed and full height caravan from Bristol to Stafford.  He told me that it must have looked as if the caravan had no tow vehicle and the looks he got from others who passed him amused him.

If he is still a member or if he is still in tahat area, you might be able to get frist hand info.

Don Elliott, 1958 TR3A, Montreal, Canada

If it is an unbraked trailer, which it may well be, then its max weight in the UK is 750kgs or 50% of the kerb weight of the towing vehicle. (If the trailer is braked then it is far more complicated, the figure 85% of the towing vehicle springs to mind but I can not guarantee that )

Strikes me an early TR would make a good tow vehicle... chassis to mount the tow bar on and as heavy as a modern saloon!  The wind resistance of a high trailer such as a caravan could be interesting, especially if you're running aeroscreens!  You could try a wind deflector on the boot such as those often fitted to the roof of saloon cars.  The TR is also rear wheel drive, and in my experience of towing (which is extensive and ranges from little trailers, various boats, caravans and most recently a car transporter) rear wheel drive has always been the best!

I'm sure that a TR2 or 3 tows a Caravan into the international every year!  It may be the one Don mentions, however, I was not aware it was from Glavon or Brunel Areas.  However, in the Bristol/Gloucester area we often see a Powder Blue TR3a towing a trailer.

Guest DSOMERVILLE

Thank  you  for  your   help   .  The  750   kg   figure    has  come   up   with  the  people  trying  to  sell  him  a  trailer  . But  if  a  TR2   is  about  1 ton  in  weight  ,  he  cannot  go over  500 kgs  .  

He  just  wants  to  be   safe   with the  police .

David

I thought that the law had been relaxed on the weight issue... you certainly no longer have to display the weights.  It also makes a mockery out of the claimed towing weight of my 4x4.  Also, check if the trailer has brakes, as that makes a difference I think.

Quoting from vague memory, so don't quote me, so to speak!