Lucas Screenjet Wiring

Hi Sage ones, I have an old Lucas Screenjet washer system the one with the glass jar and bakelite pump motor. The motor has three connections, one is positive the other negative and the middle one is clearly an earth. The old wiring tails are still on it and they are light green and black to the positive, light green to negative and black for the earth. Forgive my slowness but why three? Why a seperate earth? I notice the replica ones have only two connections.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Pete,

I don't know the exact answer because I've only seen pics of the replicas, but I suspect the difference lies in the motor/pump. The replicas probably use a later style motor/pump inside the top housing that is similar to a 10SJ that has two contacts and is "on" while the washer switch is depressed.

The 2SJ Screenjet has a different type of operation. One press of the switch delivers a measured volume of fluid. It is not necessary to hold the switch down while the fluid is being delivered as it automatically cuts-out once dispensed. Without really understanding the electrics, I'm guessing that as power is required to operate the motor after the switch has been released an additional contact is required, three in all; one for the power, one to the switch for activating the motor, and one for the return/earth while the motor is running.

Refer to the links.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/77116374@N08/6908954707/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/77116374@N08/6908953045/

Hope this helps.

If you want, I can send you a copy of the Fitting, Operating and Maintenance instructions.

Regards

Marke

Hi Sage ones, I have an old Lucas Screenjet washer system the one with the glass jar and bakelite pump motor. The motor has three connections, one is positive the other negative and the middle one is clearly an earth. The old wiring tails are still on it and they are light green and black to the positive, light green to negative and black for the earth. Forgive my slowness but why three? Why a seperate earth? I notice the replica ones have only two connections.

This is along shot...

Some early E Type s used this item, so I would imagine sight of the relevant Jaguar wiring diagram might help.

Sorry I do not have any Jag wiring diags but I'd guess the world out there has pdf'd one!!!!

Cheers

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Here are Jaguar wiring diagrams. http://www.captainjaguarscathouse.com/Electrical_Reference.htm MK2 Jaguars were equipped with a momentary rocker switch that would deliver a 10 second burst just by a quick flick upwards of the switch.If you held the switch up then it would deliver until released.

Stuart.