Carpet fitting.

Can anyone give pointers as to how to fix the carpet into a TR6, specifically footwells, not the floor but the sides and the rear "deck" area over the back axle. I presume they are glued but.....???. Cheers, Steve.

HI Steve.

Just finished new carpets in my 1971 TR6, and used no glue. At the rear deck (over the axle) I first removed the rear cockpit liner (thats fitted in front of the fuel tank) and just positioned the small halfround carpet over the dif. Remove the cockpit interior light (screwed to the drive shaft tunnel) then postioned the deck area carpet. Replacing the cockpit liner and interior light traps the carpet, so no movement. At the footwell (engine bulkhead), I used 2" wide VELCRO that was epoxied to the carpet/bulkhead. Again, at the sides (sill area), I just postioned the carpet and the footwell side cards will trap the carpet as does the floor carpet and door seal

Cheers ....> Alan

I think Alan's right, try not to use glue at all. The rear deck and sill carpets were certainly glued in when new - got sloppy 37 year old glue marks to prove it - but there are plenty of good reasons NOT to stick them down.

Mike

Thanks for the replies so far, According to Bill Piggott`s book the inner wing area in the footwell had the carpet glued to "millboard" (that crappy compressed card stuff) and fixed how...................????? to the inner wing. Any clues, ideas etc gratefully recieved. Even better if anyone has photos that would be great. Cheers, Steve.

• 3 months later...

Can anyone give pointers as to how to fix the carpet into a TR6, specifically footwells, not the floor but the sides and the rear "deck" area over the back axle. I presume they are glued but.....???. Cheers, Steve.

Hi Steve

Carpets going back in, always a promising sign !

Take a look at this link for carpet fitting.

http://www.74tr6.com...replacement.htm

Regards

Andrew