TR-250 period ads

Very interesting Brett. Anyone know what the instrument 'indirect blue lighting' refers to?

Jerry

The speedometer and tachometer on my TR250 have blue plastic filters for the instrument lamps. The small gauges have a thin plastic film (tape) to accomplish the same effect. The blue was changed to green later for the TR6.

Cheers

In case anyone wondered, why this last picture...

Let’s say it's 1968, and you live in Quebec in the Chicoutimi area. Now you are convinced by the ads above, and it’s decided, you want to buy a Triumph TR-250 and triumph over conformity! So you look in the Triumph Sales and Service directory below, oh you’re lucky, there is a Triumph dealer in Chicoutimi as stated on top of page 26. You don’t know it yet, and neither does he, but in a couple of years he will become a famous name on ze fashion scene…

24_Triumph_USA_Canada_Sales_1968_01_600.jpg

24_Triumph_USA_Canada_Sales_1968_26_600.jpg

This week, the shocking image from a recent Midlands dealer’s flyer (thanks to Rhodri for this document), using a TR-250 as an illustration of the old banger to get rid of and upgrade to a “modern, clean and economical”, shall I add soulless, car instead... (one wonders what he does with these old wrecks though!)

25_TR250_liability_advert_from_Midlands_car_dealer_1_800.jpg

It’s been a year and a half now that I’ve been publishing a TR5 and then TR-250 ad every Tuesday in this forum. Incidentally, this is about the same length of time as the production span of the TR5/TR-250!

We’ve now come to the end of my stock, I hope you enjoyed following the series. Of course both threads (TR5 period ads and TR-250 period ads) stay open for any further relevant finding!

• 4 weeks later...

Brett, quite laughable that Midlands dealer flyer. I wondered how current it was with the claimed savings of 60mpg vs 30mpg (the prices are based on fuel at £1.32 a litre) but they forget to mention that with current modern car depreciation rates, you'd have to find a new car that did 60mpg and cost less than £7,000 to offset the fuel savings with the depreciation on a new car.