Rear wheelarch liner

Has anyone made up a wheel arch liner to keep the mud from building up behind the wheel, with all the problems it brings. Or is it down to us inventive souls to fix up something similar to the front mudhole preventative shield!! Thinking I need to weld on a lug or bracket before painting the tub to attach the device, any help please.

That is an interesting question. In my very limited experience of one TR3A the rear valence and the bottom corners of the inner fender all rotted from the inside. The rear fender itself was largely untouched and cleaned up well. I concluded that the bigger need was more drainage and more rustrproofing in that closed structure that is behind the bottom of the rear valence.

Stan

TR24178,

Unless you are out and about using muddy lanes all winter it shouldnt be too

much of a problem, i have found a regular jet wash under the arches gets rid of the

bulk of it. Not everyone agrees with the use of high pressure hoses to remove mud but i havnt

found any problems, naturally paint underneath needs to be in good order, with a good coat of

waxoil/dynatrol,

cheers,

Laurence

TR24178,

Unless you are out and about using muddy lanes all winter it shouldnt be too

much of a problem, i have found a regular jet wash under the arches gets rid of the

bulk of it. Not everyone agrees with the use of high pressure hoses to remove mud but i havnt

found any problems, naturally paint underneath needs to be in good order, with a good coat of

waxoil/dynatrol,

cheers,

Laurence

Yes Laurence its because of the muddy lanes that I ask, we live in North Herefordshire a couple of miles from a road wider than a TR2, I was thinking of some black rally mudflap material suspended on a bracket just to deflect the worst of the mud and gravel from the rear end of the back wing and far enough back so as not to be noticed much.

Regards

John

You would only need one that was shaped to the inside of the rear of the inner arch from about the point of the rear end of the rear deck down to the line of the boot floor and tight out to the inside of the outer wing. That would deflect it enough and still mean you could get up underneath behind for a wash out now and then. But as has been stated if all that area is well sealed off in the build and painted and waxoyled etc then there shouldnt be too much of a problem. The reason they rotted out so much in the first place was due to poor sealing and "Line of sight" painting ;)

Stuart.

I'm in the process of trying to fabricate rear inner wing liners for my TR3A. So far, so good! If it is successful I shall send it in toTRaction. Basically it is a metal frame which will be covered with an old tractor inner tube. A large diameter tube is required because smaller (car) tubes will not fit the radius of the frame without the tube buckling. Tests so far look promising.

Naturally, this conversion must be done with a car being rebuilt as some welding is involved.

Tom.

Edited by Fireman049

I like Stuart's idea and after a good look while I was blocking down the rear wings this evening, a small piece of rally mudflap and 3 or 4 lugs to attach will deflect nearly all the gunge and our lane gets very gungy.

TS4178's wings now look about the right shape, next stage, glaze stopper more rubbing to get a smooth finish before applying some primer filler