How to Change Fuel Sender??

Hi All,

I'm thinking of changing the fuel sender to try to get rid of some of the erratic readings. The first 1/4 of the tank from full takes up 3/4 of the guage and when I'm getting down on fuel, I'm resorting to the dipping method.

I took the boot liner out, had a look and thought "b!!ch".

So..... what are your tips?

Many thanks,

Bri.

Thanks Ian - as I feared.

Is it a big job? Had a look at the Haynes book of lies and it doesn't sound too bad, but suspect that undoing some of the bits (like the vent pipe and filler hose) will take some dexterity with my big hands.

Bri.

Hi Brian,

it's not that bad !

Bonus - it offers the opportunity to deal with any minor rust issues on or around the tank, repaint it as added protection, and to squirt some anti-rust gunk in seams, and to replace any old rubber pipework with modern stuff that will be more likely ethanol resistant . . . . . check the sender electrics too.

You might also wish to consider adding a firewall whilst the tank is out, Rev's do one at a reasonable cost. A useful safety measure, and one that also reduces noise transmission and rattles.

Cheers,

Alec

Glad to hear it!

Presumably you get at the tank from both the boot and the 'back seat' ..... and presumably the Rev's Firewall is screwed in so that you can remove it to gain access to the fuel tank??

Bri.

Tank comes out through the boot. It is easier to access initially from inside the car, rear trim panel removed, but not essential.

The firewall, forward of the tank obviously, can be screwed, bolted or riveted - with sealant round the edges to produce a fuel proof seal. Worthwhile addition to my way of thinking. It's not difficult to make your own from a card template and a sheet of ally.

Cheers,

Alec