Fitting new windscreen

I have just tried to fit a new windscreen to my TR2. How does one manage to assemble the rubber into the frame without breaking the new screen? Any suggestions or help will be most appriciated.

Happy New Year to all.

This was covered some time ago on the forum and most considered the replacement rubber over thick.

best advice I can give is the fit the rubber to the screen glass first held in place with masking tape. Fit some rubber packers into the frame top and bottom and sides as this helps to centralise the glass in the frame, also saves cracking the screen later on with the stantion screws.

Also check the screws will fit through the holes in the frame and go into the countersunk holes.

Remember to fit the angle brackets into the lower rail first.

Get out the KY jelly or buy some( no stupid remarks please)liberaly coat the rubber with KY. I worked initially on an ironing board to get access to top and bottom frame sections. Introduce the frame to the screen and apply pressure slowly and carefully.

It was also suggested that you can use a Black and Decker workmate to apply an even pressure. I would suggest that you do this over a period of time and get the frame as far as you can so that your are left with two triangular sections of rubber sticking out both sides of the bottom corners. Now leave well alone for a week to allow the seal to settle. Trim the excess rubber to suit the angle of the corner. apply pressure to the top and bottom and fit screws, repeat with other side. Get a modeling scalpal and go round the screen edge with it to trim the excess from there. Again best left for a day or so to allow for for shrinkage.

Finally put a very thin bead of none setting windscreen sealer round the seal and into the corner joints. Liberally coat the screw heads with vasaline or some such to prevent the nightmare of getting the damned things out in the future.

If in doubt ask, at all costs do not try to rush the job.

REASON for KY? it is water soluble and does not destroy rubber as we all know!!!!!!

Now for the real fun.

Replacing the top and bottom rubbers, good luck with that!!!!!

Current Moss seal is a bit on the thick side but will fit if well lubed ;):wacko:

Stuart.

Lubrication is the key. One word of caution.. if you do use a workman style bench to draw the frame together use it as an extra pair of hands, not as a tool to force the parts together. I have done three of these now and using the proper lube the frame rails should slide together with just moderate force using just your arms. It helps if you have another person to assist in holding the frame upright on a bench while you push the glass home. If you have to use the power of the workbench to pull the frame together you will be putting too much stress on the glass at it will crack eventually, days or weeks later when you get a sharp change in temperature. Ask me how I know.

Stan