Hi

My TR4 could do with a bit of help in the cooling department and I wondered...

What type of oil cooler?

Thermostat or not?

Spin-on conversion a good idea?

Where to site the cooler?

so, pretty much everything there is to know about oil coolers really!

cheers

Ade

Ade

I use a MOCAL type 13 row cooler on my TR4, spin on conversion and a sandwich plate to connect the pipes - my set up is actually made by a firm in Nottingham - got through TR Enterprises as its cheaper but just as good.

Certainly seems to work very well.

Ive sited the oil radiator on a plynth behind the lower valance - hence the five holes in my sump guard and the valance panel.

If you dont want to do this I have seen them mounted sideways on the distributer side of the engine back (so as you dont interupt air flow to the carbs). My red TR4 had this and again it seems to work well.

Regards

Tony

Ade.

Are you sure you actually need an oil cooler? We run 3 4's, only one of which has an oil cooler. Guess which one used to suffer from overheating!

We thrash our cars mercilessly, and have no issues-just make sure you use a good oil-I like the semi-synths designed for older engines-currently we are using Valvoline.

Perhaps for racing they are needed? Can't see they're needed in the UK for road use though.

Rob.

Cheers Tony,

Rob: The radiator, hoses and Kenlowe are new. The engine is a new build (1100miles now) it has the original shrouded thermostat and the ducting is in place and stil it seems hot (nowhere near the "70c" mark - although I figured out the 185F not equalling 70c quirk a while ago!

It runs very well, but i figure that the only 2 things left to do are a new alu rad or and oil cooler.

any thoughts?

cheers Lads

Ade

Ade,

there's a bloke in Germany selling an aluminium rad on Ebay- 15 Euros last seen.

Minispares.co.uk sell a stat replacement device, which maintains correct flow to the back of the head.

Personally wouldn't want the grief of the oil leaks caused by sandwich plate oil cooler adaptors for no good reason. Cooling the oil wont make that much difference to overall engine temps.

Rob.

Rob.

• 6 months later...
Guest mrodbert

Has anyone ever tried a big sump on a 4. Aparently the big healey's did it instead of an oil cooler and it worked well, working on the principle of more oil=cooler oil.

Just wondered if it was possible on a TR4.

Ours leaks from every orifice. Does that make it more of a Triumph? :D

Mark

I have a "big" alloy sump. The dissadvantage (see my topic "sumpguard" and comments in the TR3 forum) is that such a sump sits more than 1" lower then the chassis, making it vulnerable and decreasing the ground clearance. If it really brings an advantage is still a question to me.

I need to improve my knowledge, what temperature does the oil in the sump run at under 'normal' hard use. How much does a cooler bring down the temperature?  I ask because modern oils like Red Line  15w50 or 20w50 MUST NOT be run with a temperature BELOW 225*F (sorry cannot get degrees to come up!) to give their full efficiency. I assume this is the case with other modern oils.  I can see the problem being too low a temperature  and thereby reducing the lubricating properties of the oil. Can somebody enlighten me on the +'s &-'s of coolers.  

Nigel (with TS952)

Nigel ,

I cannot contribute anything usefull immediatley, however I have purchased the full oil cooler/spin-on adaptor kit.

I will have it fitted up in a few weeks time, in addition I have purchased the optional adaptor which facilitates the fitting of an oil temp pick up.

So I'll be running an extra gauge and will have some definitive figures.

Mychael