draining 4a engine

The 4a will be sat outside but under a cover this winter , and with last winter being so severe , I think the best thing to do is completley drain the engine of water, i've cut the bottom hose, but this will not drain the hole block,

any helpfull ideas please, tonight a fan heater is in place but it will not help the global warming issues

ta Gordon

Edited by Gordon Bayley

Fill as Ash suggests (ensuring no airlocks in system - plenty of advice on this in other threads) and then run the engine with heater valve open up to normal operating temperature. Better still, take it for a decent run to get the newly-added coolant thoroughly mixed with the remnants of the old.

Of course, the real solution is to just drive the car regularly throughout the winter if you can - I'm off in mine in a little while for the morning errands followed by a quick thrash round the lanes.

It's slippy in all that snow, one more time around the tree, then over to the coffee table,

I can not beleive how expensive things have got £23 for a gallon of anti freeze,

beleive it or not the pipe connecting the bottom is plastic probably waste pipe, I will find out in a few weeks when I start stripping the car down,

it was from there, all the little shops are going and the big boys can name there prices,

I'v had a gap away from tinkering on cars ,so when I go into car shops they don't understand what I'm talking about :blink:

and prices have rocketed, I did't think of the price of things 20 to 30 years ago ,, but I do now :(

are well one more time around the tree ;)

£23 . . . . !!!! That must have been Halfrauds then ?

£15 at my local factors, or a tenner at the workshop where it comes in 200 litre drums. That's dear enough !!

Cheers,

Alec

You missed the trick in Lidl then Alec - £1.99 a litre 3 weeks ago.

Peter W