TR4 Automatic gearbox & 5.5 x 15 wheels?

hello

im currently looking for a automatic gearbox setup for the tr4.

Ive been told i can fit a dolmite box if i use tr4 housing?

this true?

or any other straight fit?

Ive also been told might be easier just to change the tr4 engine to a stag engine with auto box?

Im just after a auto box setup cheers

Also

15x 5.5 wheels

what trye size should i run which these?

thanks

I dont have the answer to your questions, but a Stag engine may not be the way to go, others will know more but I also love auto boxes, the purists will poo poo them, but they can be made to work very well.

The saloon box from a 2000 or 2500 is probably an easier adaptation than a one from a Dolomite, but it isn't exactly a straight fit - it can and has been done, but there's a lot to it one way or another.

Alternatively transplant a complete engine/autobox from a 2000 or 2500 saloon, which reduces at least some of the need for one-off improvisation and adaptation.

Cheers,

Alec

Tyres: you can go to 195/65 R15 91H - that will give you an overall diameter almost the same as your original (1960s) 165.

If you go for 185, you would need 70% aspect ratio (i.e. 185/70) to achieve a similar diameter.

There are others who consider 165 ideal (and these can be fitted to 5.5" rim) as it preserves an original look and permits the driver to move the back end out using the throttle (if there's enough power).

In the 1960s, my TR2 was great fun to control on the throttle on 155 Michelin Xs. That is, until it rained after a long dry period, when one never knew where the back end would be in the next corner - sometimes in front of the rest of the car!

I believe that 165 and 195 tyres are not difficult to find and are reasonable in cost.

Ian Cornish

The saloon box from a 2000 or 2500 is probably an easier adaptation than a one from a Dolomite, but it isn't exactly a straight fit - it can and has been done, but there's a lot to it one way or another.

Alternatively transplant a complete engine/autobox from a 2000 or 2500 saloon, which reduces at least some of the need for one-off improvisation and adaptation.

Cheers,

Alec

Alan Wadley (now deceased) of TR Workshop used to do this mod using the Borg Warner type 35 from the 2.5 PI into a TR6.

I have a sneaking suspicion the TR4 chassis is a bit too narrow at the cruciform for the mod. The BW type 65 from the later 2500s, later Stags, Rover SD1 etc is another option. As for mating to a wet liner engine - anything can be done - just be able to do the engineering or open your wallet.

Ian C has said all that is needed to be said on tyres and this forum is awash with similar Q&A.

Cheers

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Regarding the auto box.

Ill look into the 2500 saloon.

The BW 65 wont fit the tr4 According to moss brothers.- even thought im sure the bw 65 was from a 2500???

Finding a auto box is a big if at the moment. which is awful.

Thank you for trye sizes.

• 2 weeks later...

You don't mention why you want to convert: necessity or just for fun. And you don't have to explain here why - don't get me wrong. But if it has to do with the use of the clutch, you can also opt for a clutch adapter. Sold overhere in Holland under the name 'click and go' and 'clutch mate'.

A long time friend of mine lost his left leg when he was 16. And he's using this system in his cars since he was 18 y/o (now 60 y/o). He must have covered more than a million kms since without any problem. He used to run his own courier company and he had it installed in his cars: vans, cars etc.

http://www.tcsystems.nl/