Now this is what I call a Cylinderhead Removal Tool

That is an impressive looking piece of kit indeed.

Just the sort of special tool that might be owned by the Spares Development Fund, for hiring to members at a reasonable commercial rate. Along with a few other rarely required TR special tools.

Come on Ian C, here's a worthwhile new project for the SDF !

Cheers,

Alec

Old news guys.

The Head Honcho project (and its progress/testing) have been thoroughly discussed for several years on the Wedge mail list. The drawings of the final design are available for any interested Wedge Club - to have their own built locally. The TR7IG are having one built as are one of the fraternities down under. We're discussing it in Sweden, as are I'm sure the TRDC in Britain. The TRR UK seems to be a bit late to the train station in this - don't you monitor the Wedge fora in other areas/clubs?

/Odd

Hi Odd,

I'd be very surprised if there is any 'official' monitoring of the Wedge other forums by the TRR, or of any other forums for that matter.

Apart from any other considerations, the mere concept of forums has not been universally popular in TR circles - the internet discussion can not easily be controlled, folks have a tendency to shoot from the lip now and again, and that does not suit the bureaucratic mindset.

Cheers,

Alec

This is a great idea! Stuck heads are not unknown in other Triumph engines.

Would need a new design, but the commonality of the Herald/TR6 four/six engines might make one suitable for both.

The lack of bolt holes on the spark plug side might require brackets that poke into those recesses.

Opportunity for an enterprising member with a welder, or a Group project!

John

Old news guys.

The Head Honcho project (and its progress/testing) have been thoroughly discussed for several years on the Wedge mail list. The drawings of the final design are available for any interested Wedge Club - to have their own built locally. The TR7IG are having one built as are one of the fraternities down under. We're discussing it in Sweden, as are I'm sure the TRDC in Britain. The TRR UK seems to be a bit late to the train station in this - don't you monitor the Wedge fora in other areas/clubs?

/Odd

I flick between Forums but not many internationally as I have a life which doesn't revolve around TR7's.

But I agree interaction between like minded formums such as those for the TR7 is a very good thing as we all have a common goal to keep them on the road.

Hence my post for the Removal tool to show what a good idea it is.

Would thought it more likely the likes of S+S & Robsport would / should have this type of tool to hire out - they are doing the job regular & as per the Wedge Group - if it damaged you pay the cost of the replacement parts just like any Hire shop.

Hiring out the tool as a commercial operation may suit them.

Chris Turner of the TR Driver Club maybe able to provide any info on any plans.

AfaIk the drawings are only available free of charge to non commercial Clubs.

But you should really direct those questions to Wayne Simpson at the Last Chance Garage and the TWOA (formerly the TR8CCA)...

Edited by Odd
Hi Odd,

I'd be very surprised if there is any 'official' monitoring of the Wedge other forums by the TRR, or of any other forums for that matter.

What are then the model secretaries for?!? Aren't they supposed to keep abreast with what happens modelvise in the world? At least they are in our club up here... Edited by Odd

Would thought it more likely the likes of S+S & Robsport would / should have this type of tool to hire out - they are doing the job regular & as per the Wedge Group - if it damaged you pay the cost of the replacement parts just like any Hire shop.

For what is worth Robsport have their own head removal tool which I have seen them use on a very recalcitrant head.

I have been alerted to this by Alec Pringle and, wearing my SDF Chairman's hat, I have e-mailed the Triumph Wedge Owners Association to enquire the cost of this tool which certainly looks a strong piece of kit.

If the SDF were to acquire it, we would run a loan scheme much as the TWOA does in the US i.e. deposit in advance, return to be within (say) 30 days.

We're thinking about other special tools which owners of TRs (from TR2 to TR8) might need and which are sufficiently pricey and/or rare to make re-manufacture worthwhile proposition. Yes, I know about the front spring compressor for TR2-TR6.

Ian Cornish

We're thinking about other special tools which owners of TRs (from TR2 to TR8) might need and which are sufficiently pricey and/or rare to make re-manufacture worthwhile proposition. Yes, I know about the front spring compressor for TR2-TR6.

Ian Cornish

Girling axle hub puller would be a very worthwhile one for a start Ian.

Stuart.

Old news guys.

/Odd

Not sure where they got the idea from but we(S&S) have had a tool just like that for years

Edited by stevew2

Girling axle hub puller would be a very worthwhile one for a start Ian.

Stuart.

Yes, I would second that Stuart.

As the owner of the fabled Churchill tool for Girling axle rear hubs I consider mine too useful/precious to lend.

Not a difficult tool to replicate if NSF wants to copy mine.

A similar tool could also be produced for the IRS hub flange removal. - The Churchill item was a hydraulic affair for IRS hubs as against a screwed thing for Girling axle flanges. Perhaps one tool suitable for both purposes could be drawn up and made. Cox & Buckles London used to have an IRS hub tool that got used a lot plus the long spanners for the hub bearing adjuster nut. The IRS hub tool would not fit a Girling axle flange due to insufficient internal clearance. - Given a big lathe it could be modified.

For the wedges the Churchill head stud remover I always considered a useful bit of kit - anyone got one or any comments?

Cheers

Peter W

PS I also have a hypoid case spreader that I have never needed to use on a TR axle and a diff pinion bearing preload gauge. The latter is extremely useful when fitting new Pinion bearings in axles - takes all the guess work out of the task.

PPS Also do not forget the 'NOS part extreme price generator with forum app' would be a jolly item to make.

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Yes, I would second that Stuart.

As the owner of the fabled Churchill tool for Girling axle rear hubs I consider mine too useful/precious to lend.

Not a difficult tool to replicate if NSF wants to copy mine.

A similar tool could also be produced for the IRS hub flange removal. - The Churchill item was a hydraulic affair for IRS hubs as against a screwed thing for Girling axle flanges. Perhaps one tool suitable for both purposes could be drawn up and made. Cox & Buckles London used to have an IRS hub tool that got used a lot plus the long spanners for the hub bearing adjuster nut. The IRS hub tool would not fit a Girling axle flange due to insufficient internal clearance. - Given a big lathe it could be modified.

Charles Runyan of The Roadster Factory lists Churchill tools on his web pages.

For the wedges the Churchill head stud remover I always considered a useful bit of kit - anyone got one or any comments?

Cheers

Peter W

PS I also have a hypoid case spreader that I have never needed to use on a TR axle and a diff pinion bearing preload gauge. The latter is extremely useful when fitting new Pinion bearings in axles - takes all the guess work out of the task.

PPS Also do not forget the 'NOS part extreme price generator with forum app' would be a jolly item to make.

PPPS Looks like Churchill still exist

Vl Churchill Ltd Churchill Way Daventry, Northamptonshire NN11 4YB tel: +44 1327303400 http://www.spx.com

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Not sure where they got the idea from but we (S&S) have had a tool just like that for years

I think I read somewhere they 'got inspiration' from an oem SAAB 99 head extraction tool.

PS.

And since this is the TR Register Wedge forum I think we can (and should!) limit our discussions to

tooling intended for the Wedge. What the Jurassic models need - can be discussed in their respective fora...

Cheers,

/Odd

Edited by Odd

Taking the cue from Odd, I am going to start a new Topic on the Main Forum, into which useful ideas for tools may be added by owners of any type of TR, whether Jurassic or Wedgie!

In addition, I will contact S&S to see whether they would be prepared to make a TR7 Head Removal tool for the SDF.

Ian Cornish

Hi Odd,

many of us Wedge enthusiasts are also equally enthusiastic about real TRs and variants.

I can't see any good reason why a discussion in one model forum shouldn't encompass matters relevant to other TR models or even variants. That is one of the potential merits of a club environment catering for a range of models, rather than restricting itself exclusively to one or another model. All for one and one for all, united we stand, that sort of thing ! :D

Cheers,

Alec

Hi Alan,

I've been using the terms Wedge and Real TR since 1975 . . . . and since then I've owned and driven a fair few TR7s and 8s of one description or another. The Wedge was a BL corporate design, its predecessors Standard Triumph designed, and there's the rub.

The odd bit of good-natured cantankerous Luddism keeps the pot boiling !! ;)

Cheers,

Alec

For any Wedgies who have not had a gander at the "Useful Tools" topic on the Main Forum, this is for you!

Guess what! I have discovered that there is a TR7 Head Removal Tool (should we call it the Guillotine?) available to members from Allen Forster at the Office.

Ian Cornish