Any experience of these carpets?

Hello,

Has anyone used these carpets before or does anyone otherwise know what they are like please?

I'm thinking from the point of view of accuracy of pattern and ease of fitting, quality and ease of removal if soaked with rain. If one is pessimistic, one is never disappointed. Thanks, Saggy.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRIUMPH-TR4A-TR5-TR6-NEW-LIGHT-BLUE-CARPET-SET-/120811676745?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1c20efe449#ht_539wt_902

Sorry, don't know them. I think your best bet would be to give Danbury carperts a ring and ask if they can confirm the carpets are made in house as teh add suggests, or bought in from elswhere, and whether they supply any TR supply companies. It is possible they are from the same source as a carpet set you would by from a TR supplier. If I read the ad right is says the carpet is tuffted but doesn't say if it is wool or acrylic. Clearly that affects how good value they are compared to the competition. As they haven't said I would personally presume that they are not wool. .

Ask for a sample and then do the simple test of folding it back on itself to 90 degrees with the tufted side outwards. If you can see a lot of the backing through the pile then it wont be very good quality and will look very "threadbare" when fitted over corners.

Stuart.

Well said Stuart, could not agree more. Tracy ( SWMBO, lady in pink and expert seamstress ) and I went to the TR shop other day and looked at their wool and non-wool carpets and I'm afraid you get what you pay for. While their non wool was OK, the fold test showed the backing through. We bought their really nice wool version for our 4A but at £250 it was around twice the price of the numerous ebay and TR suppliers of the non wool variety. We did check out the carpets of the TR4 resto at the NEC.......

Fitting is a job for the winter along with some other interior upgrades.

Rod

I fitted a set of these carpets, as I live close to Danbury I visited the sellers house (from where he conducts his business)

The carpets are bought in probably from the far East, but most of what we buy nowadays is.

He had different qualities of carpet and I went for the best one at additional cost, after doing the fold back test.

I am reasonably pleased with what I got and they seem to fit ok.

They are some sort of nylon type of pile which is no problem as if you buy very expensive wool blend, as I once did and got caught in a serious downpour with no hood they all shrunk badly and had to be replaced.

If in doubt ask the seller to send you a sample so you can see the quality.

Overall not bad for the cost.

Hope this helps

Lee

Well well well, Danbury? I never noticed that, local to me too! Even more of a surprise when clicking on the sellers contact details to find it's none other than Terry Murphy who used to run "Triumph Spares" in Chelmsford before "retiring". A nice chap from whom I bought a few bits over the years, but not the cheapest!

• 6 months later...
  • 7 years later...

Thought I'd say a few words as I am a retired carpet cleaner and a classic car enthusiast. First of all it may come of surprise that the wool in carpets does not shrink unless very hot water used.. I live in Wales we have loads of sheep and lots of rain and I have yet to see one shrink in downpour. Its the backing that shrinks. Carpet manufactures like to use natural fibres to compliment the wool like jute etc. Some carpets are 100% polpropolene pile and still go.. So beware of the backing.