Glad to know it's behaving well now, Steve :) .

Just have to throw in a couple of comments - first, to concur with Alec's contention that it's usually the installation at fault when problems surface. As for the wear on the pressure plate spring I would need to vindicate the alignment before indicting the bearing, as misalignment typical on these when dowelling is not done will deliver just that plus the " sticky clutch ". This results from the gearbox's centerline not agreeing with the engine's, so orbiting takes place, scrubbing away on the PP spring fingers and causing the throwout sleeve to bear on the snout when it's applied ( -> sticky clutch syndrome ).

I've never lubricated the snout and haven't had a sticky clutch since ensuring alignment ( did have it prior though ). There is a 0.015" clearance built into the original components and if properly aligned there won't be any side loading; whatever contact it makes when the sleeve is hanging there idle is of no consequence. The instant the bearing contacts the fingers it will center itself just fine and the sleeve will not touch the snout until released again.

FWIW, the Koyo bearing is compatible with SACHS pressure plate; these plus LUK driven plate comprise TRF's Magic Clutch kit. These have served me for circa 80K miles with zero issues, light pedal effort and engagement mid-to-high on the pedal stroke. Good for 170-180 lb-ft I'd guess.

Its Boxing Day and bugger all on the television so I decided to have a swannee at the TR6 Forum and this thread caught my eye.

I am certainly not mechanically minded enough to know the ins and outs of clutch plate cover, bearing etc but I must say that having read all the threads I have a much better understanding of the operations regarding replacement and what to use and what not to use.

I wish Steve good luck and no problems with his newly fitted Borg and Beck plate plus RHP bearing. On a personal note I have copied the details should I need a replacement clutch in the future. :D

• 1 month later...

I Just wanted to return to this thread briefly to let you know 73D successfully completed her trip from Dublin (via Ferry to Cherbourg) through France to Malaga. There was no problems with the clutch at all - no rattles, no stickyness. In fact a pleasure to drive. I have the Borg & Beck plate with the RHP bearing.

A few other facts

I drove 2231km or 1386 miles in 3 days

On a decent section of road between Rennes and Niort, I averaged 10.4km\l or about 29.3MPG. On a more mountainous section, therefore less air - a section north of Madrid I got 8.9km\l or 25.1mpg - so altitude seems to make a difference. On a more general section - some mountains, Madrid traffic and some **** but fairly fast roads 9.8km/l or about 27.7mpg

At Rosslare

Rosslare.jpg

In the mountains north of Madrid

TRMountain2.jpg

Finally arrived in Arroyo de la Miel

TRArrived.jpg

Bye Bye Ireland

OceanViewRear.jpg

:rolleyes::o:P:D

Edited by Steve in Dublin