Fitting a quick release steering Hub

I have a plan to fit a 15" wood rim steering wheel to my TR7 V8 Cabrio, main reason is to overcome the heavy low speed steering. and to improve appearance etc.

15" will make entry difficult for my 6' 3" frame, so I plan to remove the wheel prior to exiting, replacing after entry. additional benefit is the added security of a wheel less car.

I have no idea which quick release mechanism and hub/ wheel combo to order. Does any one have any advice on this subject?

Here is a pic of the wheel in question. It has zero dish so shouldn't end up too close after taking the quick release mechanism into account.

post-10516-0-73943900-1320964015_thumb.jpg

post-10516-0-73943900-1320964015_thumb.jpg

Edited by Speedster

The TR8 Drag Car has a quick release steering wheel, although from which manufacturer I've no idea - I'll try and remember to have a look over the weekend and see what brand it is. The two-tone black and yellow leather isn't exactly subtle, but then it's not exactly a subtle sort of machine, more of an inyaface sledgehammer. :P

A useful feature for sure, it's hard enough to clamber aboard with the wheel off, and impossible to get into the driving seat with the wheel in place. Mind you, for anyone with a challenged waistline (PC for fat bastard, by the way) it's impossible full stop. :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Alec

Steve @ TR Enterprises has a quick release steering wheel on his V8, give him a call i'm sure he will be able to help you out

Tom

• 4 weeks later...

There are many around which require an attachment to be welded to the column. This one doesn't: http://www.snap-off.com/

The web site is rubbish, the product is good. The adaptor will bring the wheel about an inch closer to you if you can't adjust the column.

Jerry.

There are many around which require an attachment to be welded to the column. This one doesn't: http://www.snap-off.com/

The web site is rubbish, the product is good. The adaptor will bring the wheel about an inch closer to you if you can't adjust the column.

Jerry.

Thanks for the address, I have fired off an email asking if they have an adapter for the 9 hole Motolita wheel and hub, They don't list Motolita as one of the suitable wheel types.

The 1 inch will be compensated by using a zero dish wheel, I also plan on increasing the diameter to 15" so I hope to have more clearance for my legs. getting in and out wont be a problem if I remove the wheel first. No power steering hence going for the 15"

The car is still up in Rossendale at S&S getting new suspension and brakes so the wheel is on hold till I get it back.