Chaps,

I am looking at replacing my number plates from white/yellow as 'modern cars' to black ones. I seem to remember a cut off year is 1972? I have looked on the DVLA website, but as usual no help. My 6 is a white, Lreg (Mid Aug 1972) which I think will look better. I have seen cars much younger than mine with black plates and have a current MOT. Can anyone advise on the 'rules'.

Regards,

John

Hi John,

if you'd made the effort to put number plate into search, then you'd have found the answer soon enough, it was discussed only 6 weeks ago.

Here's my reply at the time, the link gives you definitive chapter and verse

Vehicles constructed before 1st Jan 1973 may bear traditional plates.

As with road tax regulations, it's the date of construction, as opposed to date of registration, that counts.

www.dft.gov.uk/dvla/forms/~/media/pdf/leaflets/V796.ashx

Cheers,

Alec

And before you ask where's best to get them, there are plenty of places online or Ebay that will make you a set in metal or plastic and then relieve you of a bit of your hard earned.

There is also a guy who goes to classic shows with his trailer who can do almost any style,and will probably be at Shepton Mallet resto show next weekend.