TR6 Oil Pressure

Took the 6 out for a longer drive today, the oil pressure guage readings caused me some concern although car driving OK.

At times reading about 50 -60 and at other times 20 - 25 or less

Should I be concerned and if so what checks should I carry out.

What should be the ideal readings?

Just don't want to cause lasting damage or failure.

Thanks in advanve

John

Book says 40 - 60 psi at 2000 rpm hot (that's 20 miles plus hot, not idling in the drive warm). You'll likely see 75 - 80 psi when cold.

Hot idle should be 15 - 20psi ideally, but a little less on a well used engine isn't a major concern. If the pressure is hopping about when driving and not roughly tacking engine revs, then that is a cause for concern

Nick

Oil pressure is controlled by a simple spring which is contained within the big nut on the LH side of the engine, so possibly the problem might be in this area.

When cold remove the nut and inspect the spring and plunger. It might need a quick clean, so spray some brake cleaner on a suitable rag or similar on the thread and seating area.

Pay attention to the spring and plunger. As a rule of thumb if you want high pressure stretch the spring. I would normally lap in the plunger for a perfect seal but it is difficult in situ.

In reality it could be anything, even the oil itself becomming too thin when hot. I would be interested in the outcome so good luck with finding the problem.

...............or it could be the gauge!

Is the oil clean and full? Undo the oil filler cap, are the rockers wet with oil? Did the oil pressure warning light come on at any time?

Does the engine sound rattley, or did it feel like it was tightening up? What about water temperature, was that outside the norm?

You are right to be vigilant but sometimes we can worry too much. If oil is getting to the top of the engine (assuming you haven't got one of those dreadful external oil feed thingys) and it is not running hot I would not be getting ready to pull the engine just yet.

This is interesting. My pressure has always been really good. At least that's what I thought. However, even at idle it's well over 50. The only time it's really fallen below that is when the oil level was low. Then, on acceleration, it dropped to circa 20. That gave me a bit of a fright but on checking, I found a low oil level. Topped up the oil to the correct level and hey presto back again to 50 and over. All that said, i started a post recently about how much oil I am losing from the dizzy pedestal and up the dip stick hole. Is my pressure too high? If so, what could the reason be? I don't mean to hijack the post.

Carry out a compression test. If oil is being blown up the dipstick tube the crankcase must be pressurised and that will be from worn bores/rings and the gases passing into the crankcase. Not sure why the oil pressure gauge would be reading high unless the pump is kicking out too much, perhaps the spring or pressure relief valve is stuck.